Sunday, May 30, 2010

Prince: Taking it up a notch and having oh boy moments...

May 29 2010

Prince and I had an interesting play time this morning. We started off with some simple things. Sideways, jumping, and some other things then I wanted to play with our circles at the canter. I decided to change places in the riding ring so that Prince wouldn't have to feel the pressure from the fence as much. We started off with some circles at the trot. I had to stop part way through to move all the tires and barrels and such. The rope was getting caught on everything. So after that we started again. Prince did 20 circles with rhythm, relaxation and connection at the trot. I was really proud of him! Then I asked him to canter. He cantered 4 laps and wasn't pulling on me quite to much. I waited until he was a little bit more connected and then brought him in. The only reason that Prince cantered with slack in the rope when we normally are in the riding ring is because of the fence so I really want to get him to me truly connected to me. 

Going the other way was a lot more difficult. Prince didn't have rhythm, relaxation or connection. He was pulling the whole time. He did how ever cantered some thing like 40 laps... I lost count. It wasn't consistent but he did try! The only thing was that they weren't good circles :( I am really not sure what to do. I am thinking that maybe he just needs extra room because he is a stocky horse and is a LBI. But I can't put him on the 45ft line because there isn't enough room in the riding ring. Soooooooooo......... I have to figure something out. I was really proud of him for trying so hard to maintain gait though. Hopefully I shall be able to figure it out next play time. I have been doing a lot of thinking though and have some ideas. I will let you know how it goes :) 

Naturally,
~Keri

1 comment: