Saturday, May 14, 2011

Twosox: Helping Twosox find the answer

May 9, 2011

I brought Twosox out onto the front yard to graze for a little while and the we did some zone five driving with one rein. I didn't want to just tell him the answer but help him find the answer. So we went back and forth up and down the street until Twosox could put me in zone five and keep me there. If he moved me out of zone five I would just turn him around in a full circle and start again. 
Once this was going well we then played with walk-halt transitions. Twosox wasn't able to stop without turning. Again I didn't walk to just tell him the answer to the puzzle so we would walk a long and if he didn't stop we would "run into" the fence which would stop him. Then we would carry on. 

This took some time but in the end Twosox started to figure it out and we got some nice walk to stop transitions. So we ended and I let Twosox eat more. 

Then I mounted him and at first I just allowed him to graze but then we rode Figure eights around two marks which went really well actually. Twosox had a hard time finding the rhythm because there was a slight hill and Twosox would speed up going down the hill. So it was actually helpful to his conformation also. 

After I don't know how many Figure eights Twosox was able to adjust himself to be able to walk down the hill at the same speed as the rest of the Figure eight and we also started getting some really nice circles around each marker, resulting in a beautiful Figure eight. 

I was bareback so that made things a little more interesting as it was the first time in a while that I have ridden bareback. It is definitely something I need to get better this year. I can walk and trot bareback for the most part with fluidity but the canter... not so much :) So I am going to ride bareback more often this summer. 

We finished with giving my youngest brother a little ride and then I let Twosox graze some more and then we went back to the corral. 

Naturally, 
~Keri


No comments:

Post a Comment