Monday, January 23, 2012

The Game of Contact - The beginning of the journey.

Hello all! I know, it has been a while!

Fall 2011 ~ Dabbling in finesse
I have decided to start blogging a little more regularly. Mainly regarding my journey with the Game of Contact. Having no traditional background before Parelli Finesse is my weakest savvy. I know that just like the other three savvies this one will be just as much as a learning experience and that is why I am so thankful for the Game of Contact home study program that will be walking me through it. Needless to say, I am very excited and looking forward to taking this next step in my horsemanship journey.

Prince and I have just started as the DVD's just arrived the other day. We are still playing with getting him to want to be bridled and also bit isolations. We had been playing previously with bridling so we already had that going well. Prince was putting effort into taking the bit so that he could get the treat.

Sept~ Fawn Anderson clinic
As for the bit isolation, they are going well. Day one was good. Outwardly Prince seemed to be ignoring me but I know that on the inside he wasn't, his wheels were turning no doubt. Mrs. Parelli's line of "It is not 'if' but 'when' " kept running through my mind. I knew that it was doing to work and it was just going to take time. I was playing for tomorrow. After about fifteen minutes of slowly putting on the pressure and then releasing the instant Prince thought about moving his head down he started putting a little bit more effort into trying and we ended when he was responded at a much lighter phase. I would have kept going but I was frozen as it was -25 (Celsius).

Today was Day Two and although it was pouring rain we still had a great session. It was proven that Prince was thinking last day although on the outside it looked like paint drying, it was very interesting paint drying though I must add. I loved every minute of it! Being an introvert myself I can identify with my introverted horses.


September ~ Level 3/4 Clinic ~ Playing with some finesse

So today Prince was eager to see the bridle and enthusiastic about taking it. Bit Isolations were instant! All I had to do was put the slightest bit of pressure on the bit and his head when down! Perfect! To advance it I looked for Prince to put a little bit more effort into really putting his head down instead of just a little tiny bit down. Prince caught on really fast and so we ended and played a little bit with getting more understanding in regards to bridling. Prince is eager to get the treat but isn't quite going straight for the bit, he is more going for the bridle, verses the bit. We played with that and after a couple times Prince was actually picking up the bit by himself with softness and understanding.

There you have it, day one and two of playing with some of the beginning stages of stage one in the Game of Contact!

Naturally,
~Keri-Lynn

6 comments:

  1. I have the GOC as well. Are you using the cradle bridle, or the confidence snaffle?? I only see Linda so far using the snaffle only. I am on dvd 4. Thanks, Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Aren't they great!? I am using the cradle because that is all I have at the moment. I am hoping at some point she talks about what bit she recommends. I haven't gotten very far into the set yet, do you know if she does mention anything?

    ~Keri-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was wondering if it still comes up in the dvd's??? I am not done with mine either. But I was thinking she only wanted the snaffle? Since she doesn't demonstrate any other bit???? Also the cradle uses the bit, nose, and poll pressure. I will think Linda would only want pressure on bit?? So eventually the horse takes the bit later. I too was going to try cradle? But I do have a confidence bit that I could put on my regular Parelli bridle. I would just have to take off the slobber straps. But so far, I have not started anything with my horse Kaspin. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything! Have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somebody posted on Mrs. Parelli's Parelli Connect wall and asked her the same question, regarding snaffles, the cradle etc and this is what she said "I should have talked about Cradle! The Cradle is forgiving for the horse, protects them from our clumsiness. It's great for doing GOC, but using something like the Confidence Snaffle is way more challenging because you don't have the tongue release. Start in the Cradle, and then test yourself later - Conf. Snaffle needs even better feel!"

    I was glad to read that as I don't really want to have to buy a snaffle and etc at the moment, although I do want to in the future. I just can't justify it right now ;)

    Have fun also!

    Naturally
    ~Keri-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!!!! So funny I wrote yesterday on Parelli connect as well and one Parelli trainer wrote back. I can use either one. BUT, I like your answer better!!! I was also use my CRADLE then. Since I know Kaspin likes it!!!! Thanks, KERI!!!!!! I will start my practice soon then also. Now that I know this answer:) Yeahh!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem! I am also really glad to have that information as I know I can use my cradle and it is the right tool :) Have fun!!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri-Lynn

    ReplyDelete