Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Prince: Challenging ourselves

May 17, 2011

Prince and I had a wonderful session. It was a lot of fun and it was great to be able to play on the 45ft line. I didn't want to go to quickly with it and then run into a lot of issues because Prince wasn't ready so we stayed at around 35ft for the majority of the time that we were doing longer distance things. It was so nice to be able to play and advance our distance especially in the circle game! 
We started however with picking up all four feet, massaging the legs, getting some very nice, light, fast hindquarter disengagements using the porcupine game, as well as forequarter yields. Then we played with some Falling Leaf and then circles. Prince did well at the trot so we didn't stay there long. We went into the canter and played with maintaining gait. Pretty soon Prince's mind was engaged and he was cantering around and putting a lot of effort into it!! 

Changes of directions were interesting as Prince would brace and go faster and faster in the canter. It was very similar to what he used to do at the canter so I knew what to do and eventually, after a lot of consistency we were able to get a couple nice change of directions at the trot and canter (with flying lead changes) and we ended with a beautiful canter draw! 

Mom was ready so we headed back to the riding ring. I led Prince most of the way and didn't do a whole lot. When we got back I put the bareback pad on Prince and off we went. I have also given myself a little challenge that I want to ride only bareback, or with the bareback pad, for the next while. I want to improve my bareback riding and so this is an active step towards that goal. 

We played more with changes of directions because Prince was still bracing and didn't know how to respond to that pressure. It took quite some time but in the end we were able to get the changes of directions at the canter (where Prince was having the hard time) in both directions and Prince was also able to get the flying lead changes.

Then we played with bridling. Prince was okay with licking the honey off but not completely comfortable with it. So I decided that I wasn't going to bridle him because he wasn't truly accepting of it. I could have gotten it in there but our relationship is more important to me than getting Prince bridled. So until Prince is accepting of it and can take it in his mouth willingly, I will not put it in. I can guide it but Prince has to be okay with it. 

So then we went over to a rock that is sticking out of the ground (it is a big rock) and I mounted from there. It is about 2-3 inches off of the ground so it was a little easier to mount than the last day but that was okay. I am pleased with how well this little task has come along and how well it is going considering I only start a couple days ago :) But then Prince isn't very tall ;) 

After I mounted we stood still for a little while doing nothing while I helped Mom and Knightly out. Then we did some forequarter disengagements. These were super light and Prince put a lot of effort and energy into them plus it was at a phase two! I was really impressed. Hindquarter yields were a little more interesting as I could tell Prince the answer but if I asked him and stayed at a phase one or two he would try everything else, trying to figure out what I wanted. So if I gave him the answer he would willingly do it, how fast how far kind of thing, but when I don't tell him the answer he gets lost and confused.

We played with this for quite some time before Prince started getting it. It was difficult balancing supporting Prince, helping him so he wouldn't get stuck, and giving him the answer. But in the end things started going really smoothly and we were able to get about half a circle with just my body, no leg. So we ended there.

Then we rode the rail! We started at the walk and put full and half circles off the rail and back to the rail here and there. This went well and when Prince could walk the circle and just my body and no stick or reins we went up into the trot. Prince offered me a nice, very soft trot which was so comfortable!! We trotted a long for a couple laps changed direction and trotted a couple in the other direction. Then we played with circles, like at the walk. Prince wasn't as light as at the walk so we kept playing with it until he started recognizing when I changed my focus and when put my leg on, which by this time he would be turning. We did big circles and small circles, full circles and half circles. It was great fun and all bareback!!

I wanted to find a good place to end so I decided that I wanted to trot a long the rail then turn off of the fence and trot in a straight line over to the pedestal where we were end... but I wanted Prince to figure that out. I didn't go past phase two and if we missed the pedestal we trotted in a full circle and came around again. Eventually we figured it out and Prince climbed on the pedestal thinking that it couldn't have been that easy!

It was such a great ride and I am looking forward to improving my independent seat through riding bareback. Hopefully soon we shall be able to start cantering... that shall be fun! I have cantered once bareback and the transition into it was the hardest part... so we shall see how that goes :)

We ended by spending undemanding time, Prince just didn't want to leave. So as long as he hung around I stayed and then eventually we both left :) I love being able to spend time with my horse :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment