Sunday, March 6, 2011

Prince: When in doubt do porcupine games!

March 2 2011

Prince and I had a great Online session this morning. It was to icy in the corral yet to do much unless we stayed at the walk. So we started with backing up unto the pedestal, stopping when all four feet where up then backing down and onto the other one. That got Prince's mind really engaged! He was asking so many questions!! It was great fun! 
Then we did backing up by the hocks and tail. Prince is getting really like at backing by the hocks which is great. It took a while for him to be really confident backing up and not having to stop every couple steps. I had to keep reassuring him that he was doing the right thing :) But now he is way more confident and we can now play with more lightness! 

The last thing we played with was lateral flexions from zone 5! These were so much fun! Prince caught on really quickly. One thing I had to play with was how I was asking Prince because at first I would just comb the rope three times and ask Prince to bend, really softly of course so that Prince wouldn't think I wanted him to move his feet. But then I realized that when Prince and I are doing zone 5 driving when I want him to turn it looks quite similar and even more similar to how I ask him to stop. Because Prince would feel that pressure on the halter in basically the same spot. 

So what I did was after I when through my phases I would move my hand up and over a big. Like I would be moving it to my knee if I was riding. This also made a big difference in how far Prince brought his head around! It was really cool!! We did this on both sides and Prince did so well. He kept his feet still and brought his head right around and would hold it there softly. 

We ended there and just spent some undemanding time together before I left to go get warmed up! It was really cold out this morning, -19 C. Brrrr....

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you ARE very committed playing at -19 C, yikes! I am so excited that you will be able to get a Natural Performer. Definitely, looking forward to some pictures. I hope TwoSox's eyes are getting better...

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petra! It was cold but a lot of fun.

    I will definitely post pictures when it arrives :) I am super excited!!

    Thanks. The vet said that he believes that it is a tumor on the third eyelid and suggests surgery once it is warmer. We are trying to find if there is a natural way to heal it but I am not sure if we will find anything. The vet also said that it has probably been something that has been going on for a couple years at least and has just now come to the surface.

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete