Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fall, Fog, and fun!

Today it was REALLY foggy outside. I waited till 10:30 before I went out to play with Twosox.

Here are some pictures that I took around 8:30/9:00am

 
 

 
  
  
  
  
  
  
 
  
 
It was all so pretty!!
Okay so now to the play time. After I had haltered and saddled Twosox we walked over to the tractor tires. Twosox walked right through it no problem!! Hooray!!! Then I asked him to walk through it on the other side but he wasn't confident enough to do it. Hmmmm..... How interesting!! Something to continue working on!!

We then went up to the riding ring. We started with some sideways with out a fence and with me keeping my feet still. Twosox did pretty well at that. He leaked forward a little bit but near the end he was going sideways. Then I sent Twosox on the circle. I had a little bit of a BFO and realized that I was only doing little things with Twosox because I didn't want him to get unconfident. So we would only do things at the walk and some trotting but we weren't progressing. So today I asked Twosox to respond a little quicker, we worked on cantering on the circle, Figure eights at the trot, jumping and some other things. Twosox did REALLY REALLY well. He has been ready to move on and for me to ask him to do more but I just haven't asked him to do it.

Twosox was so attentive to me and was asking LOTS of questions. It was incredible!!! When we were ready to ride I got on. It is amazing how different riding Twosox is compared to Prince. I never realized just how light and responsive Prince has gotten, but today I did. Twosox has always been really sensitive and has over all always been more responsive when we are riding..... up until today. It felt so weird not having the horse under you turn when you focus at something, go when we go, stop then you stop, back up when you back up etc. Prince does all that wonderfully!! It was interesting.

It kind of felt like I was riding a LBI and not a confident RBI. Twosox seemed to be ignoring me!!! Now I am wondering if Twosox has always been like this and I am just noticing it now because Prince has gotten WAY more responsive and so Twosox feels worse or what but something it different. All Twosox wanted to do was eat grass..... hmmmmm how interesting. Now that might be a good thing because maybe before Twosox wasn't confident enough to eat or maybe it is feeling that difference in saddle and now he can put his head down to eat. I don't know.

Anyways I was kind of thinking out loud there. Sorry about that ;) So let see....

Twosox and I did Figure eights, Follow the rail, Weaving, Point to point, 9 step back up, and Sideways. Twosox still responsive but it just felt different. I had to use my carrot stick/reins to turn him and it wasn't just a little bit but quite a bit actually. He didn't even want to trot!!! Which isn't that different from normal because normally Twosox doesn't exude energy when we are riding. So we worked on that. We did point to point at a trot and stopped at the little grass patches that could be found. The nice thing that was I could sit his trot!!! Even his faster trot I could sit no problem!!!

Our Figure eights are getting better. Twosox did really well going around the one barrel but on the other barrel he would wonder off. I made sure that I was doing everything right in my body and he got a little bit better. We just kept with it until there was a noticeable change. Weaving was really good also. I had made put the tires closer together yesterday so today when we were riding I wasn't sure how Twosox would do but he did fine.

After we had ridden for a while we worked on trotting. We went up and down the one side of the riding ring and every time Twosox broke gait I would let him walk a few steps that ask him to trot again. He started trotting for a little bit longer. So we stopped there.

It was definitely interesting. My saddle was really comfortable though!! I will have to start working on doing a rising trot in it. That is one thing I can't do in an english saddle..... or at least not very well ;)

After I had unsaddled Twosox I picked up his front to feet. The flies were to bad to do his back ones so they will have to wait. His front feet were nice and clean from riding in the riding ring so I didn't have to pick them out. So I just played with them a little, moved them around and then put them down.

It was a really good play time and ride all in all. Lots to lick and chew over!

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment