Monday, November 9, 2009

Back at it again,,,,

Well for almost a week I have been suffering with almost all the symptoms of the Swine Flu [H1N1]. It is not confirmed that I have it but it is very likely. So for most of the week I was inside with very little horse time. It was nice having a little break but I am SO glad that, even though I am only feeling a little bit better, I can be getting back out with the horses. I can't move around to much or else I get a head ache but I can't complain!!!

Yesterday Sunday November 8 2009 I played with and rode Prince. I missed him so much!!! I don't know what I would do with out him in my life!!! I would have been happy just doing nothing with him but there were a couple things I wanted to play with.

The first, and the most major thing we did in the play session was cantering on the circle. We had it REALLY good... I mean Prince would canter 5 circles no problem...... but then there were a couple things that fell apart [my fault totally] and that was one of them. When I think about it it wasn't really fair to Prince to ask that much of him that soon, considering we haven't really played in over a week and we have been having a hot spell but Prince did really well and tired so hard!! We got three circles with out breaking gait going to the right I think it was. Then one circle with out breaking gait going to the left. Prince was so out of shape and with his winter coat [or some of it] he was sweating like crazy. I felt kind of bad but he recovered from it. It is definitely something we need to play with!!!

After a long rest I then got my trimming tools and played around with them. I expected Prince to be defensive but he had a nice surprise for me in the fact that he did REALLY well. I didn't actually trim anything but I was simulating it so that Prince will get used to me being the one to do it. I was able to play with all of his feet and he did really well.

So after we were done that I got my helmet and climbed on Prince bareback. Being sick has totally knocked all the spring out of my legs that is for sure!! I tried jumping up onto Prince [which last Sunday I could do] but there was no way that was happening today. My mom said not to exert myself to much since I was still sick so I got onto the pedestal and got on from there. Prince and I had the most AMAZING ride!!!!!!!! I didn't plan on doing much but it ended up being a wonderful, wonderful ride.

We started off with some Follow the rail, that was really good. Then I asked Prince to trot the first two times I asked him to trot he pinned his ears but then trotted off. So we did some transitions. Then we did a REALLY cool yo-yo game but first... before I went out to play with Prince I was reading in one of the original Level 2 pocket books and it was talking about advancing your 9 Step back up. So I read it. One thing it said was that if while you are closing your fingers (steps 4,5,6,7) you slow do step 8 and 9 you will have a much fast and lighter back up. Okay hopefully that didn't confuse you! So anyways.... I tried that with Prince.............. and you will never guess!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prince was a million times lighter. It was so cool!!! Then that was when we did the really neat Yo-yo game. I asked Prince to walk forward two steps, then I would sit back, focus high and just put a little tiny bit of pressure on the reins and he would back up two steps, then we would repeat the process again. Prince was SO light that we did most of it at phase 1!! Even our back up go so light that I just thought "back up" and focused and Prince was already stopped and shifting his weight to back up. Then we did it at the trot!!!! It was SO much fun!! I couldn't believe how light Prince was!! It was VERY cool!!!

Then we played around with our Direct rein. Again I was reading in the Original Level 2 pocket guide and it was talking about getting your horse to "Cross his front end over" and is said to use your outside leg and that in Level 1 you rode the inside of your horse but in Level 2/3 you want to be pushing your horse more. Interesting. I remember reading that before but it is always good to re-read something. So Prince and I played around with using my outside leg when I asked him a Direct rein. I had been playing around with it before but I was never sure if it was right so I just went back to using my inside leg. So when I tried it the results were incredible!!! Prince responded beautifully!! One time we were walking along the fence and came up to Mom and Knightly so I just looked at the 3 o'clock position and put a little bit of pressure on with my outside leg and Prince turned exactly where I wanted him to go and we walked straight across the riding ring then turned back onto the fence.

Prince and I took a rest after that. My mom was sitting on the fence and had Knightly lined up to get on, she had the rope hanging over his neck and he decided to walk away. So I asked him Prince and I could get him..... I thought that looked like fun!! It was SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!!!!!!!! Prince was a gem!!! He even tried to help.... it wasn't his fault that Knightly kicked back at him. The lead rope had of course dropped on the ground so I had to get Knightly to bring his head around do I could get the rope. Then once I had it we started walked a long the fence back to mom. But then Prince started trotting.... I am not sure why but I think it was because Knightly was bothering him. I was trying to let more rope out for Knightly and stop Prince and the same time but something didn't go right so I just dropped the rope. I didn't want to give up then so we went back and got Knightly. My mom tossed my her carrot stick so I could reach the rope.

We were going back to mom and Prince offered me a BEAUTIFUL sideways!!! Then I realised that the carrot stick to "active" Prince was so sensitive!!! So we went sideways for about 10ft then continued on our way. After we had accomplished our mission Prince had a major lick and chew!! One thing that was really cool was that Prince was really in tune with me the whole time, if I needed him to back up I could just wiggle my legs a little bit and he would back up, turning was never easier, our whoa and go were wonderful. It was a lot of fun!!

Since it was a really good note to end on I got off. Then Prince and I just spend some time hanging out together. I love him so much!!!!! He is wonderful!!!! Can't wait till next time!!

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment