Sunday, November 29, 2009

November 13th playtime

November 13 2009


We took Prince and Knightly our to our friends farm again. We had a really good time. The horses loaded up nicely and then we were off. When we went to take the horses out Knightly unloaded okay but Prince was really agitated. I think it was because the other horses were running around but for what ever the reason he was worried. More worried then I have ever seen him to be exact. I didn't want to just unload Prince and go play because then there was a good chance that Prince wouldn't be as confident loading up when it was time to go. So I switched my rope to the 22ft line and we played in the field just outside the arena. I was the last thing on Prince's mind so we did a lot. We did sideways, falling leaf, Traveling circles, and lots more. Then when I left that Prince was paying more attention to me and was calmer we went back to the trailer. He was fine going in but he had a harder time coming out. So that was what we played with for a while, until Prince could back out confidently.

By this time Prince had worked up a sweat. We did a lot!!!! But it took a lot for him to realise that I was still there. After that we went into the arena and I saddled Prince up. He stood nice and still the whole time. Then we went and played!! We did Stick to me down to the other end of the arena then I set up two barrels for Figure eights. At first Prince was doing the pattern but he didn't seem totally connected. So we kept with it until I saw a change then we stopped. At the end Prince gave me some REALLY nice Figure eights!!

After that we did some sideways at a trot.... with out a fence!!! That was cool!!! Prince was really connected with me by this time. So I hardly had to do anything in my body and he would figure out the puzzle!! We also did some Jumping and pushing the ball. Prince was SO good at pushing the ball!!! We went all around the arena and Prince would either push it with his legs or his nose!! It was fun!!! At one point Prince almost crushed the ball... oops.... I quickly stopped him from doing that!!

We  were then ready to ride so I got on. We did quite a few patterns through out our ride. We did A million transitions first. Prince did really well. We did walk, trot, halt, and back up. In all kinds of ways. It was really fun!! After that we did some sideways. We went sideways half way across the arena then stopped. It wasn't totally straight but it was almost!! We took it slow and I didn't even need ot use my carrot stick!!! Prince was so in tune with me!! We also did sideways over a log. Normally for us getting started is the hardest part but today it was easy!!! We didn't go all the way to the other end of the log because the bigger log was there but we went part way then went off the other way.  Everyonce and a while we would do a little point to point. Prince was really following my focus. I hardly had to redirect him once we were started!! It is an amazing feeling having a horse so in tune with you, and I am sure I have felt nothing yet!! :)

I didn't have any really big plans for riding so we kind of took it easy. We kind of did a Obstacle course. We walked over the tarp, put all four feet on the pedestal, walked between the two tractor tires that were planted standing up and lots of the other stuff. After I could tell Prince was getting a little bored. He started getting less responsive so we went and did some Figure eights. At first they were just at the walk but then I felt like trying it at the trot so off we went. At first Prince would keep breaking gait but after a little while we trotted two complete Figure eights!!!! I was SO proud of Prince!!!! That is a first for us. It is really easy getting him motivated when we are doing something like Follow the rail but when it comes to Figure eights he is a lot harder to keep motivated. We took a LONG rest after that. Prince had a good lick and chew also.

After that we rode the Weave. We did both walk and trot. Prince was so good at the trot!! At first he wanted to keep breaking gait so I figured out that what we would do was trot the Weave then walk around the ends. That way Prince got his rest and then he would be motivated to trot through the Weave so that he could walk around the end barrels. That seemed to work really well. Prince started to get the Pattern so we stopped while it was at it's best. I also played around with a supporting rein while we were doing the Weave. That actually worked really well. It was fun!!

The last thing we did was pushing the ball. THAT WAS COOL!!!!! It is amazing how well it transferred over from the ground to riding. Prince caught on really quickly and we were off pushing the ball all over!!!! Prince is really started to like that big green ball!!! :) I can't get over how huge it is though!! I can't even lift it!!!

After we were done riding I un-saddled Prince and just before I let him go we played a little bit with Change of directions. Since there was LOTS of room and Prince wouldn't have to run into fences the whole time it made it easier on both of us. My mom and our friend watched to see it they could pick anything up and my sister video taped it. We figured out that when Prince was circling to the left and I asked him to change direction I asked for it when he was right at my shoulder and Prince gave me some REALLY nice change of directions. But when Prince was circling to the right and I asked him to change direction I let him go to far behind me so that when I asked him to change we lost the connection. It was really interesting!! So now I know what to play with!!!

After lunch I took Prince into the round corral and we played at Liberty for a short time. We did some yo-yo's and a little bit of circles. Just some transitions. Our Change of directions aren't soild enough Online for us to try them at Liberty. It was still fun though!! We also did some Stick to me and leading by the tail. Then from there we went into the arena and I asked Prince to stand on the pedestal with all four feet. While he was up there I sat on the pedestal and rubbed his legs, then I crawled under him!!! Prince just stood there and didn't move. Then I went back under him the other way but when I was right under him I just stopped and rubbed him and waited a little while when I went all the way through. Prince was still at Liberty and he didn't move at all!!! Then I haltered Prince. I needed to go get my helmet so I left Prince on the pedestal and went to the other end of the arena and got it. Prince just stood there looking at me and waited till I got back. We have been playing with ground tieing but I didn't know it was that good!!!

I then got on bareback. I just had my savvy string for a rein and I had my carrot stick. Prince was SO light!!! It was amazing!!! We did some Point to point, sideways, one rein back up, extreme friendly game while I stood on Prince's back [That was a first for us!!! It was a little harder to stay balanced while I was swinging my carrot sticka nd savvy string around but some how I managed!! :)]

My mom was ridng Knightly so when she was ready we did a trail ride simulation. Prince and I led and mom and Knightly followed. We did it a long the rail and everyonce and  while we would be a Direct rein or a Indirect. Prince amazed me with how light and responsive he was!! Especcially since we only had one rein and a carrot stick. It was SO much fun!!!!! Prince followed my focus really well and we even did a little bit of trotting. It was really smooth!!!

Then we had to go :( Prince loaded into the trailer really well and he unloaded well also. So that was nice. All in all it was a REALLY fun day!!!!

~K 

No comments:

Post a Comment