Sunday, November 7, 2010

Prince: Audition time!

November 4 2010

Yes that is right, today Prince and I did our Level 3 Freestyle Audition. I have no idea if it will pass or not but I guess we shall find out soon enough. After yesterday I felt that our lead changes were good enough to at least try. Everything went well. We played really strong and it made a huge difference! We started with some canter stick to me on the 12ft line with drop to trot lead changes (with a change of direction). I was really particular about Prince picking up the canter quickly and he did really well. 

Then I saddled up and we did some circles in the field on the 22ft line. Prince cantered between 5 and 6 circles each direction with slack in the rope and over a tarp! At first he would break gait when he crossed it but pretty soon he started maintaining the canter while crossing it. 

We also played with some changes of direction with simple lead changes. Prince didn't miss a single change and the whole time, in which ever direction he was cantering he was always cantering on the correct lead.  We then went into the arena and did some jumping, sideways using the porcupine game and a couple other small but important things. 

Then it was time to ride! I had to plans for my audition, one which was starting in the arena and finishing outside of it and the other was starting on the outside and working out way in. We ended up starting in the arena because I wanted to practice our simple lead changes before the actual audition but I also had a plan so that if they went really well we would just continue on from there. 
So off we went... we had to restart it only once because Prince was having a bit of a hard time picking up the canter and the left lead. So we started again which turned out really well in the long run because as my mom was getting ready to film it again (our battery on the camera was running low so we had to get a cord) we practiced out jumping. Prince wouldn't jump the smaller log so our only option was the big log, which I have never jumped before. The first time Prince straddled it... oops! Hehe then the second time Prince jumped it but hit his hind legs a little but I rewarded him for that anyway because he did jump it. 
Then when the camera was ready we set off. I actually wasn't nervous from the time that we started playing Online, but before I was pretty nervous. I am so thankful that I wasn't nervous as we were doing it though. It helps though that I have been video taped a lot before so that doesn't make me any different.

Anyway. There was a couple things that didn't go exactly as planned but all in all everything went well and I am pretty happy with it. Even if I don't pass I know that Prince and I did the best that we could do and we had fun! I never would have thought that three months after I started cantering I would even be considering sending in our Freestyle audition so no matter what the outcome I am so proud of Prince and I will happy with even the feedback! When it came to the jump Prince cleared it no problem and I rode it pretty well I think... ;) 

Needless to say Prince got a long rest and got to each grass for a long time. Then when it was time to leave I hopped on him again and we rode up to the pasture. We are planning that Prince will come home on Saturday. I am excited for him to be home but I know that we will both miss the space to play and the big arena! We are invited to come back in the spring so that will be something to look forward too!! 

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment