Sunday, November 7, 2010

Prince: A bit better?

November 3 2010

Today I came out with a better idea of how I was going to prepare Prince Online so that we would have more success while riding and getting our simple lead changes better. I felt way more prepared!

We started our session out a little bit differently today though. I decided to back Prince by the tail all the way from the little gate where which we are now using to get in and out of the pasture, and back him all the way down to the driveway, across the field and over to the gate of the arena. Anyone who would have seen use probably thought we were crazy but it was so much fun! At first Prince it wasn't as easy but Prince figured it out pretty quickly. We have never done that much backing up by the tail. Normally we got maybe 10 or so nice steps and then stop. But this put a purpose to it which was a lot of fun. Once we got there Prince got a long rest and got to eat grass for a while as I got our saddle and tack out. 

Once Prince was saddled we went out into the field and played on the 45ft line. At first Prince was cantering but it didn't look very smooth so we kept playing with it until he cantered a some nice circles with rhythm, relaxation and connection. It didn't take long but it made a huge difference in our riding. 

We then went into the arena and did some canter stick to me and lots of transitions!! We also played with our halt-canter transitions because if Prince is going to get the simple lead change he is going to need to go into the canter easily and without resistance. They got really snappy and happy so we quit on a high note!

Then we mounted up! We started with Figure eights at the trot. It was beyond amazing because Prince listened to my body and I only had to make 1 or 2 corrections with my carrot stick!! It felt amazing! I remember in the spring when I was struggling with this and it felt that we would never get Figure eights where Prince would listen to my body and I wouldn't have to use my reins/carrot stick. But through a lot of trial and error, and with a bit of frustration we now have it! It is really amazing! And the best part is that we aren't staying here though, it can and will always get lighter, and with more speed and distance!

Next we played with our simple lead changes. First though we made sure our trot-canter transitions were working. They were pretty good so we went onto the lead changes. It took a while but the last couple ones we got were really nice! We both seemed to just get it and they came together nicely. Of course, they weren't perfect but they will get better and better as time goes on and we continue to practice.

The next thing we played with was our Question box. It went really well at the trot so I decided to try asking Prince to canter it. It was no doubt interesting. I think that Prince got a little confused so we kept playing with it for a bit. But it wasn't getting much better so I decided to stop and leave it for a time when are more ready. But I am glad that I tried :) 

We went back into the arena and we did one more simple lead change, this one was by far the best and then we ended with circles. I wanted to play around with jumping but it was still a bit to muddy so we left that. Our circles were pretty nice and got even better. The last one looked like this... 



It wasn't perfect but I was really happy with it! I know it will just keep getting better! 

Naturally,
~Keri


No comments:

Post a Comment