Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Twosox: Trail ride!

Well, I am a little late posting this due to being really busy... but here is what Twosox and I did on November 8th 

 November 8 2010

Wow! What can I say?! Twosox totally surprised me today. Mom and I decided to go on a trail ride this afternoon. I decided to give Prince a day off and take Twosox. My plan was to play strong and then just walk Twosox on the trail then depending on how things went I would decided whether I wanted to mount up or not. 

Twosox and I played really strong. Especially in the area of friendly game. We played with the ball in all zones, bouncing it, rolling it, I put it on top of his back and then pushed it over him. I also dragged things around, behind him, under him etc. Twosox wasn't not to sure about the tire dragging behind him so we played with that for a while until he could walk confidently beside me with it dragging he hind him. 

We also did w/t/c transitions on the circle, changes of direction, sideways, hindquarter disengagements, Figure eights, and touch it. Once I felt that Twosox was ready to ride I mounted up and we did some Follow the rail, walk-trot transitions, direct and indirect rein and or course lateral flexions. 

Since mom wasn't quite ready to ride yet Twosox and I headed down to the front yard and I let him graze for a while then I decided to see if we could walk up to the end of the road. I wasn't sure how many threshold Twosox would have but he didn't have any it was really amazing! He calmly ate the grass on the side of the road and even when cars when by he was calm, cool and collected! 

Once we were ready we headed off. Since it is hunting season we decided to take a different trail instead of riding down the old railroad track like we normally do. To get there though we had to do through town... right down main street to be more exact. So off we went. We decided to walk the horses through town and them mount up once we had gotten to the trail. Twosox only had one threshold which was just as we were coming up to the where the street we were on meets the highway. Twosox didn't spook but just stood there looking at the traffic and then we were able to go forward. On the way over we had to go through the park and over the covered bridge (with the river going under it, which also included a water fall on the one side... very noisy!!) Twosox didn't look twice at it though and we marched right on a cross the bridge like it was nothing! What a horse!

Once we got to the trail we mounted up. Twosox was incredible!!!!!!!!  He was so calm and relaxed, he didn't spook, followed my focus and direction and was over all totally blew my mind away! Even when mom and Knightly trotted up on a head Twosox didn't get worried but kept at the same pace that we were at and we eventually caught up. We did do some trotting. Again Twosox was so amazing. He also has an incredible trot. It is so smooth and he keeps the same rhythm the whole. We had trotted before in the riding ring so it wasn't like I haven't ridden it before but we hadn't had the chance to just go! So this was our first time really just trotting for a long period of time.

Twosox's transitions were smooth and his go equaled his whoa. If I asked him to stop and stand still he was fine with that but he was also willing to trot. It was really neat. At one point we had to cross over a big puddle I wasn't sure how Twosox was going to do I allowed him to stop at the edge and then gently asked him forward and we walked across it.

Coming home we rode over the highway and across the bridge and then through the park. I think the main thing that kept surprising me was how Twosox trusted me as his leader. What ever I asked him to do he did it and was confident in doing so. We let the horses eat in the park for a bit and then walked them through town. Another cool thing that happened was we had to go between some buildings and a row of vehicles. Twosox followed behind me and even when cars went by he was fine. Even when some people came up to see him (one being on a bike) and give him some grass he was curios but not afraid!!

We made it home safe and sound. Twosox stayed with me after I let him go and didn't even want to go find the other horses. It was a special way to end a really amazing day!! I definitely want to do that again sometime soon!!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment