Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Prince: Coming home!

November 6 2010

Prince came home today! But before we brought him home we had one last play session and ride! We started by playing in the arena. Prince had so much energy! All he wanted to do was canter everywhere so we did some circles with changes of direction then we did Figure eights at the canter. I had to play around with how much energy I needed to have in my body to match his and some other things but at the end we got one complete Figure eight at the canter and Prince was pretty light also!

After that we went out and played on the 45ft line in the field. We played with transitions, change of directions, and traveling circles. We did a little bit of each and everything went pretty good. Then we mounted up!

Prince and I didn't ride long because there were only a couple things that I wanted to do and I wanted to keep it easy. There were 4 things on our Level 3/4 Freestyle self assessment that I was pretty sure we could do but since I had never tried them I couldn't mark it off. Mainly they had to do with doing w/t/c transitions with two carrot sticks plus guiding your horse at a walk with your finger tips.

We started off with the transitions and they went extremely well. Prince went into the canter beautifully and the transitions were really smooth also. We got a couple really nice transitions and then ended. I am amazed at how our cantering has really improved in the last two and a half weeks. It really has been wonderful to have the space to advance and play!

Then we played around with guiding with my fingertips. We have played around with it a bit before but nothing major. Prince caught on really quickly and we even rode Figure eights. The funny thing was that Prince was responded to my focus, I didn't even need my leg (!!!!!!) so I didn't want to use my fingers because he was responded so well with out them! But when I needed to correct him I would lightly touch him on the withers and go through my phases if needed but Prince barely ever needed me to go past a phase 2.

After that we rode the Clover leaf one last time! I am going to miss riding that pattern! But hopefully in the spring when we go back (Lord willing) we can pick up where we left off. We also played with sideways with two carrot sticks. Prince had a bit of trouble at the beginning but that was mainly my fault ;) But then we both got it right and went sideways in each direction, with me using just my body, for over half the arena width which is about 50ft!!

I decided to go through the gate a little bit differently, we opened it and backed through it. Prince wanted to go forward a lot today so it took a little extra longer we did yo-yo's back and forth through the gate then we did walk-backup transitions all the way from the gate over to the trailer which was on the other side of the field.

We took a break for lunch and then loaded Prince up into the trailer and went home. The horses weren't in when we got home so we went out and found them. At one point Prince went off on one of the other trails but mom and I took the one that was the most dry. Then a couple minutes later Prince comes running up, nickering and stops right by me! It was so sweet! We then went the rest of the way to the field together and that was where the horses were. It was so wonderful to watch them reunite! I really think Ruffian missed Prince! Especially when he saw Prince the look on his face was priceless!!

Here are some pics...

Going to find the horses!

It's an oreo!

One of my favourites!
Together again!

Victory lap!




Classic Porcupine game!

Awww..... Best Buddies!
Prince and I are going to take a couple days off and just spend some undemanding time together and then slowly get back into the swing of things. It has been an physically, emotionally and mentally exhausting two and a half weeks, yet it has also been absolutely incredible!! 

 Naturally,
~Keri


2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures and I cross fingers for the audition!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petra! I will definitely post my results when I get them :)

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete