Thursday, August 27, 2009

Patience and Persistence pays off with Prince and Twosox

The weather this morning was SO nice that I was able to play with both Twosox and Prince.

I started off by playing with Twosox. I picked out all of his feet. He was a little bit unsure about me handling his back feet but pretty soon he relaxed. After that we worked on our walk/trot transitions and change of directions. The whole time there was lots of slack in the rope and for 90% of the time the belly of the rope was on the ground. Twosox is SO light and was paying attention to me the whole time. All I needed to do relax and maybe lift up my carrot stick and Twosox would slow down and if I wanted him to speed up all I had to do was lift up my life and he would speed up. It was amazing.

Our Change of directions are getting REALLY good. Twosox will pivot right into the ground and go the other way. It was amazing! I have never seen him be so athletic!! Then we worked on jumping one barrel. I put it right up next to the fence. At first Twosox wasn't to sure but then figured it out and would jump it from a stand still no problem. It was amazing how many questions Twosox was asking me. It was great!!

Then we took a little break and just spend some time together hanging out. I didn't want to overwhelm Twosox so we didn't do any more Online stuff. We did a little bit of Liberty at the end. We did some Sideways with out a fence, yo-yo games, Driving and some circles. Playing with Transitions Online really payed off because they were AMAZING at Liberty. Twosox was so in tune with me that when ever I asked him to do something it was light and he responded so well. He even jumped the one barrel twice and I was at least 10ft away!!! Our draw keeps improving. Each time it gets a little bit better. I am making sure to keep my Liberty sessions sort but also effective. So that we make a little bit of progress each time and it is really working.

After I had let Twosox go I wanted to quickly work on some Transitions and Change of Directions Online with Prince. Playing with Twosox and seeing how light and responsive he is has made me realize that I need to really work on Prince's and my Transitions and Change of directions.

So I went and got Prince. We played stick to me while we were running up the hill. Prince stayed right beside me the whole time. Then once we were in the riding ring I sent Prince over to the barrel that was still by the fence. He jumped right over it from a stand still!! That was really good for Prince because normally he will knock it when he is going over it. Then I sent Prince out on the circle. It took a while of playing around but finally we got it all working and our Transitions go really good. We ended up doing transitions on a shorter circle so that I could be effective then once Prince was paying attention and they were going better I let out a little bit of rope and we did some walk/trot/canter, both downward and upward transitions.

One thing that I noticed was that before when we would do transitions I wouldn't stick with it long enough so Prince never got better. So today I made sure that we stuck with it until our transitions were consistent. Then we worked on out Change of directions. They were [to my surprise] not that bad. I think that they were better because Prince was actually paying attention to me because of the transitions we were doing. We even got 2 flying lead changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was SO cool!!!! At the end Prince was doing so well and I was confident that our Transitions and Change of directions were better then what we found them when we first started. I am excited to see what they are like next time.

So the lesson I learned today was that I have to be PERSISTENT!!!!!! Keep with it until there is a change. Like Mr. Parelli says "I have never seen it take longer then two days" So stick with it!!

Here are some pics....
                                                                       
Prince

 
Take a look at that mane!!! 
 
Who could resist that face??
Twosox
 
  
Ruffian!
 
 
Don't they make a great pair??
Well that is all for now! have a great day!
~K

No comments:

Post a Comment