Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Riding out...

August 24 2009

Prince and I played and rode in our back field. He did so well.... except for when he took off running and went all the way home and I had to go back and get him. But other then that everything was fine.

We even played on the 45ft line for a bit. I was surprised at how well both Prince AND I did considering it has been a while since we have played on the 45. Our riding ring is to small and it gets dangerous because most of the line ends up around my feet.

We started by playing on the 22ft. We did change of directions, transitions, sideways, and traveling circles. Then we switched to the 45ft line. We did some more circles but I let Prince go out farther. He did REALLY well. Before we would totally loose connection and then we couldn't get anything done so it was great to have Prince's full attention on me. We did some really cool canter to walk transitions. Prince caught on really quickly and responded to my energy and did them almost perfectly!!!

Then we did some Figure 8's. We started like we normally do and since they were going so well I started moving farther back. I ended up about 30ft from the tires and Prince was stilling doing the Figure 8's PERFECTLY at the trot. Prince did it mostly himself. I was a lot of fun!! After that we did some Touch it on at about 30ft away. Prince knew exactly what to do so we didn't do that for to long.

Once Prince had all of his bucks out [if I don't have the saddle on him for a while then put it on him he will buck into the canter] so when he wasn't bucking anymore I got on. We walked around for a bit then did a little bit of trotting. It was only the second time that I had ever ridden in the field and the first time I didn't do any riding I just go on and left for home. So this was the first time we actually stayed in the field to ride. It was SO much fun.

My mom set up a question box so we rode that for a bit. Our riding ring is now to small to have it in there because of the round corral so we had to put it out there. At firs Prince didn't want to be directed but soon he figured that what I was asking him to do was pretty interesting. He was AMAZING!!! That was only our second time ridng the question box and Prince did it like he had been doing it all his life!!! I wasn't going to ask him to trot but he offered it a couple so I took it. It is so easy to ride his trot now. I don't even have to think about it.

We had a little bit of trouble when Knightly left, Prince wanted to go with him. I bent him but he started going sideways even with his ehad bent around. So as soon as I had the chance I got off. He then settled and I was able to get back on. Prince started to leave againg but I bend him then asked for him to disengage his hind quarters then he relaxed and we headed back to what we were doing.

After we had ridden we done riding the question box I wanted to ride home but I just wanted to ride down itot he lower part of the field. For some reason I have always wanted to do that. I don't know why but anyways I did. We walked down the hill, trotted across the flat stretch and then the plan was to trot up the hill but Prince decided that he wanted to canter up it. So before I knew what was happening we were cantering!! I can tell that I am going to need to get a lot more fluidity to ride that canter but I just keep telling myself that just like the trot it will feel really bad at first but after a while it will get better.

So then we rode home. We really need to take a saw out and cut some of those branches so that were is a little bit more room for me to fit through. You can tell that we have short horses because all of there paths are REALLY short. Oh well I only got smacked in the face.

We had to go up one steep hill on the way home. It was totally amazing to feel all the power of Prince pushing himself and me up the hill. It was indescribable. Then I wasn't to sure how it would go going down the hill but again Prince took it all in stride and walked down the hill no problem. What a wonderful horse!!!

We then trotted the rest of the way home. Then went sideways over to the gate to drop of the 45ftline that we were carrying and then I got off. It was really an amazing ride!!! Next time should be really fun too!!

~K 

No comments:

Post a Comment