Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wow, what a session!!!

Yesterday I was trying to brain storm and figure out why I am not having fun with the horses when I play with them, or if I do have fun it is only when the horses do something totally amazing and even then it doesn't feel right. Finally it hit me like a tone of bricks.... What is the opposite of fun?? Normally it is being bored right?? You got it. So I don't really know why I didn't figure it out before but that doesn't really matter now.

I am not bored when we are riding because we are advancing and having a blast on Online it is a different story. I am totally, with out question bored!!! So it goes with out question that if I am bored, me the leader of my herd of two, how does my horse feel??? Yeah......... so before I went to bed last night I figured out what I was going to do. Prince was up for me to play with [I rotate back and forth between Prince and Twosox] so I wasn't going to ride him, I didn't need the pressure of making sure he was safe, in tune etc and I wasn't going to do any circles. That way I was challenged to do something new.

So out I went, really rather excited about the idea of playing with Prince. It is such a nice feeling to be excited once again!!! Before I haltered Prince I spent some time rubbing him. Then we went up to the riding ring but I was in zone 5 and instead of going into the riding ring we turned off on one of the side trails and went up the REALLY big hill.... this picture should give you an idea of what we went up....



Plus we have to go up this hill when ever we play in the riding ring. It isn't quite as steep where we normally go up but almost. So Prince and I walk up that with me in zone 5. It may have been crazy but it was fun! Prince was really interested. Then we walked around and found some grass. Then went into the riding ring. JFYI the riding ring is at the top of the hill and to the right.

Then I put the other 22ft line of Prince and I did Figure 8's, Touch it, sideways, back up, and lots more all from zone 5. Prince was totally incredible!!!! I made sure to stop when we were both having fun, and before it because a job. Prince was totally amazing when we did Figure 8's. Normally he pulls and it feels like I am forcing him around the barrels. That wasn't the case today. He was as light as could be and was willing.

Then we did some leading by the tail, Prince is getting SO light!! He responded to the slightest pressure and backing up about 10ft, just with me holding a couple hairs!!!! It was kind of funny because I asked Prince to jump one barrel lying down he walked off with this look on his face like "oh great we are going to do MORE circles or figure 8's" I totally understood how he was feeling!! But I wasn't asking him to circle or do a Figure 8. Pretty soon he was really interested and started asking questions then just like that he jumped it. It was AMAZING!!!!

The whole time I was having a blast and Prince was asking questions, totally in tune with me and we were both having SOOOO much fun!!! My mom had set up two jumps about 20ft apart and she asked Knightly to jump then both. So once she was done I stole her idea, well not really ;) Prince did it like he had been doing it for years. So I put the two jumps about 10ft a part. Prince leaped right over them both. It was interesting because since I said that I didn't want to do any circles we did it off of a squeeze. Prince did amazingly well but it was still a little bit of a challenge because normally Prince does it off of a circle where he can get some speed before he jumps. At first Prince was a little uncoordinated so I kept sending him over until he did it both ways and wasn't stumbling over the jumps. It was fun!!!

We also did some sideways towards me. Prince was PERFECT!! He came perfectly sideways towards me. His hind quarters weren't lagging at all!!! Then my mom and I played stick to me. We did it with her and Knightly first. Knightly had no clue what to do. Prince as a gem. He didn't even step on the ropes like he used to do!! He just follow me around. After a while Knightly started to catch on. He will get better in time.

Then it was our turn!! Since my sister and I have played stick to me before and I know Prince knows it I said that we can be a little bit more particular. I wanted Prince to be right side me, his neck at my shoulder. I think he only left me twice but he always came back quickly. Then we started to refine it. Prince did so well. My mom almost tagged him once and after that he knew she was serious so she stuck right beside me. Walk, trot, back up and even canter!!! At first Prince didn't really think my mom was serious enough so he wasn't trying really hard but then after she almost tagged him that time he knew where the comfort was.... and the oats ;) hehe

I was kind of thinking of climbing on Prince bareback but by the time we were done it was hot and the bugs were getting bad. Next time.

It was such a fun play session!!! I couldn't believe how much fun I had!!! It is kind of hard to keep thing interesting when our riding ring is small and when two people are playing it is like we each get about a 50x50 foot space to play in. So it is hard. But I think with a lot of work, thinking and imagination [something I do NOT have] I think I can make it work.

Anyways... on a different note.......

I finished Sense and Sensibility. My fifth book since December. Well six if you count the Nancy Drew I read some where in between there ;). It was a short read after Wives and Daughter which was a 600 and something page book. I am now going to read North and South. But there are a couple things I have to get done for other people first.

We had a really bad thunder storm this afternoon. Perfect for reading. We were [and still might be] under a tornado warning, plus a severe thunder storm watch. Scary! Well not really. I like thunder storms.

Anyhow that is all for now.

~K


No comments:

Post a Comment