Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Prince: Circles, Figure eights, Flying lead changes and more!

April 12, 2011

Today Prince and I had an amazing session. We played with circles at the walk, trot and canter, Figure eights at the trot and canter doing simple lead changes and then flying lead changes on one side. Prince still has a hard time cantering around the right barrel so we are playing with getting more flexible!! 

I couldn't believe Prince was giving be all these flying lead changes. They were incredible! The really cool thing is that I played with the ingredients and when they got good enough the whole thing came together and we are getting flying lead changes right left and center!! 

After the Figure eights we played with some sideways where I stood in the middle of the riding ring and sent Prince sideways to the fence, while I kept my feet still. Prince had a bit of trouble with this the last day. He wanted to drift forward but today he was straight for 99% of the time and I only needed to correct him once or twice. Then we played with sideways towards me building to getting it with more distance, where I am farther away. It is coming along nicely!!

I then bridled Prince which hardly took any time at all and then I mounted. I checked out our lateral flexions, direct and indirect rein and Prince was so light on the bit! He kept his mouth still most of the time which was great! I am learning a whole new meaning of lightness!!! Also when Prince starts leaning on the bit, mainly because he doesn't understand, I will support with something other than the reins, such as my legs, carrot stick etc this has really helped Prince to understand what I want without me having to go up my phases with my reins and because we already have that foundation Prince understands. 

We played with some follow the rail and then I just wanted to do a couple Figure eights at the trot before we went down to the front yard to ride circles, it is the only place we have which is almost flat, open and big enough to ride circles. 

But Prince had other ideas, He was quite resistant when it came to riding the Figure eights. So we played with trotting circles around one barrel and then when we got a nice one we would go trot circles around the other one. This worked fairly well and we stopped when Prince was light and we were in harmony. 

Then we rode down the hill and proceeded to open the gate but we had some complications. Part way through the process when I had the gate part way open and we were standing still resting, so that Prince wouldn't learn to just hurry up and go through the gate, I discovered that top hinge had turned and the gate slid off... so there we stood, if I let of the gate to get off the gate would fall over if I just stood there holding it we wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon. Fortunately Mom was just up in the riding ring and she was able to come and assist us. Prince had a good chance to practice his ground tying (and not eating grass at the same time) while Mom and I fixed the gate. It was a how interesting moment!!

Once the gate back in place I remounted and Prince and I rode circles!! As I have stated before I love circles!!   It took me a couple circles to get  a proper circle and yet again I learned that Prince really knows what a circle is, he will find a good circle way faster than I :) But once we got into the swing of things we got it going really well. We did circles both directions and stopped in the center once and out on the edge once because I have to keep the resting spots balanced or else Prince will either cut into the middle with great confidence or want to go to the outside of the circle. Gotta love Left Brain ponies!!! 
After the circles we played with some sideways and Prince was AMAZING!!! He we true sideways !!!  We went from the well to the apple tree, which was about 25ft or so, and back a couple times and it was such a great feeling!! 
I unbridled Prince while mounted and then dismounted after allowing him to eat for awhile. Then I put a bit of honey on the bit and let Prince lick it off with out putting it in his mouth that way we stay balanced and he doesn't just see it as something to go in his mouth... :) 
Needless to say we had a blast and learned a lot!!

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Keri!
    I love the fact that you just let him lick the honey of the bit in the end. Very clever!!!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petra! I got the idea after Prince didn't want to have anything to do with the bit one session, the previous session I had ridden and barely done anything with it.

    So this seems to be working well. It leaves Prince on a good note with it ;)

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete