Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ruffian: So close to Liberty, but still holding his hand

April 12, 2011

After I played with Prince and I played with Ruffian. He was standing at the gate looking in and looking a lot like he wanted to be played with, so much so that he left the other horses who were sleeping in the sun... yep he wanted to be played with ;) I walked over to the gate and invited him in, well he didn't need much inviting. He was ready to come in as soon as the gate was open. He is such a cool horse! 
I didn't have my halter with me as I had put it away so I decided to just loop the 22ft line around his neck and play that way. I was prepared that he might pull, or at least try and possibly get away from me in the end so I was only planning on doing little things so that Ruffian would stay confident.
Well, it was beyond incredible!! I was so shocked!! Ruffian did so well that we ended up playing with the ball (He even brought it to me!!), traveling circles at the trot, sideways, jumping a single barrel in the middle of the riding ring, figure eights at the trot (even around the ends completely with confidence, which is huge for Ruffian at the best of times) yo-yo's and draw at the trot, leading by the tail, and touch it!!! Like I said, I was shocked! 

Ruffian was so  light he only pulled once but the rest of the time he kept slack in the rope and/or the belly of the rope on the ground!! This horse is amazing!! 

Ruffian looses confident quickly at Liberty so this was a great way to get him more used to the idea of Liberty and yet I was still there for him if he got confused or lost. It was great and we both had a lot  of fun so say the least! 

Then since Ruffian was in such a great mood I haltered him (I borrowed Knightly's halter since he was grazing outside the riding ring) and climbed up and rode. Ruffian again did so well and was very confident. We did Follow the rail, played with the ball, indirect and direct rein, and point to point. Then I waited for Ruffian to lick and chew and then dismounted and we hung out together for a while and then I let him go, which was more like just opening the gate because he didn't want to leave. He followed me back to the other side of the riding ring :) 

I love this horse!! He is so willing and hardly has any baggage. He is so much fun to play with and be around!! 
Naturally, 
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment