Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Prince: Online and Liberty

April 18, 2011

This afternoon Prince and I started with Liberty. We high a couple really high points and a rather how interesting moment. We got some amazing circles at the trot and canter. Prince cantered about 20ft away from me and stayed connected. About half of the circle the fence was there but the other half there was no fence so Prince was fairly connected.

We also played with sideways towards me and away from me and close range circles at the trot. I was looking for Prince to put more effort into turning and into the circle. He did well and when we got a couple nice, close range, circles at the trot we ended.

While we were doing circles (long range) I had asked Prince to circle to the left but he changed direction and went to the right. He left at the canter so I asked for a transition to the trot before I was going to ask for a change of direction. Prince must have gotten confused and he ran into and through the fence. Fortunately he came away with nothing more than a small scrape on his side. I think what happened was that Prince felt the pressure of me asking for the downward transition and because he wasn't thinking "downward transition" it was pressure that caused him to jump sideways and go through the fence. Liberty in a round corral is hard for us because Prince feels pressure, even if it is as simple as walking circles, but because we do not have a round corral I can't help him through that. Next time I have the opportunity to play in a round corral I think we are just going to do undemanding time :)

Then we went Online and played with cantering on the circle and getting the rhythm, relaxation and connection, flying lead changes, jumping barrels while circling at the canter, and then we played with cantering up to the barrel and straddling them. This was a lot of fun because I didn't want to tell Prince the answer yet I had to support him and help him solve the puzzle. So there were a couple times where Prince would jump the barrels and then slow down, which was progress in the direction I wanted so we kept on going and eventually we got it. Prince cantered up on the end of the 22ft line and did it perfectly, all at a phase one!! It was amazing and the look on Prince's face when he did it was priceless!! He looked at me and ask a beautiful question :)

We also played a bit with Figure eights at the trot and canter and Prince is starting to getting more even on both sides. Which is really great because he still has a hard time cantering on the right side. We are getting there :)

Then we hung out for a bit, licking and chewing over our session :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment