Friday, April 1, 2011

Twosox: Determined to progress.

March 28, 2011

Today I played with and rode Twosox for the first time in a long while. Yesterday, Sunday, was exactly three years since I bought Twosox. This got me thinking a lot about how far we have come but how over the last 6 months or so I really haven't progressed a lot with Twosox. Progressing is challenging with his horse and most of the time it felt like we were solving problems every session and never progressing. I had a hard time staying emotionally calm, cool and collected and so Twosox knew how to push my buttons, whether he knew it or not. 
Then since Twosox had this eye issue it was pretty easy for me to just give him time off and not do a whole lot with him other than what was needed for his eye. So with all these thoughts going through my head I got very motivated to play with him more and get through our problems and start progressing!! 

Twosox has a lot of potential and I know that with consistency we can progress. His eye seems to be healing well and since it doesn't seem to be bothering him I felt it was an okay time to start up his advancement once again.

I hadn't put my Natural Performer on Twosox yet so I thought it would be a great time to do that plus depending on how everything went I might ride. My goal is to get Twosox well rounded in all four savvies, just like I am aiming to do with Prince. 

Twosox did well with saddling. He stood well well and didn't have any issues with it at the walk and trot. We did some Touch it, pushing the ball, sideways, 12ft circles at the walk, and some other low key things then we moved on to circles on the 22ft line and other things from farther away. We did Figure eights at the walk and trot which went really well!! Then we did circles at the trot with changes of directions while I stood on the pedestal. Twosox was so connected and relaxed!! It was really, really amazing!! 

Then we played with getting the canter on the circle by changing direction. This is one thing that has always been hard for Twosox and it used to get me frustrated. The cool thing today is that I was able to stay totally calm, cool and collected, even though things didn't away go smoothly!!

Twosox did have some buck in him when he got into the canter but after a couple really strong, high, bucks (I was glad I was not right those!) he did buck any more. Some we had some fairly nice cantering off of a change of direction we moved onto jumping. At first Twosox was avoiding it because jumping to him equals stressful so I just went with it, letting him come between me and the barrel if he needed. Stopping when he was able to walk or trot up to the barrel. Pretty soon he was able to jump it confidently and so I brought him in to me for a rest.

When I felt that Twosox was ready to ride I checked our lateral flexions and then mounted up. We stood still for a long time, we hurried up to do nothing. Twosox had a major lick and chew and was yawning. After a while I did a passenger lesson just letting Twosox walk where ever he wanted so that he would get a feel for the new saddle. This worked really well and his head was so low!!

I had forgotten what a comfortable horse Twosox was to ride!! He is so smooth! We finished up shortly after that, Twosox was very relaxed and calm. It was a great way to end! Tomorrow we are hoping to go on a trail ride depending on how Twosox does Online and while riding in the riding ring. We shall see!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment