Sunday, July 19, 2009

Success!!!!

Yesterday afternoon I didn't have anything to do.... well okay I did have things to do but I didn't really want to do them. So I did some research on shimming and tried to figure out how to shim my Wintec wide so it would be level on Twosox. I watched the free saddling DVD that I got with my Fusion saddle last year and I also searched the Savvy club site. I found a lot of useful information. So just before supper I ran out and tried some different shimming patterns on Twosox. It was REALLY interesting. I figured out that it is okay that the saddle is sliding back because that is where it needs to be so that Twosox can have room to move his scapula. But then the problem is that I need to shim the saddle up so that it is level so I tried different things but nothing seemed to work.

So today I went out after thinking about what to do and I changed the gullet so that I had the smallest of the Wintec Wide gullets in [the xx-wide]. I put it on Twosox and it was PERFECT!!! It was level and it was far enough back that Twosox had room to move!!! I was so happy!!

We went up to the riding ring to play. Someone my mom knows came by to drop off something and ended up staying and watching us play. She seemed to really like it all. Twosox and I did Touch it, figure 8's, circles, Stick to me, and Leading by the tail. We also did sideways over the barrel. At first Twosox got a little unconfident at the other end of the barrel so I took it slow and kept asking him to go over it until he was okay. I didn't even need my carrot stick!! Twosox knew exactly what to and followed my slightest suggestion. He was amazing!!

Then I took the halter off and played at Liberty. I seriously think that Twosox is better at Liberty then Online. Which is really weird because he is a RBI. Anyways.... Twosox stuck right to me. We did stick to me to start with, Twosox stayed right with me. When I ran he ran, when I stopped he stopped when I backed up he backed up. He matched me energy and everything!!!!

I asked him to jump the barrels. He jumped it first from a stand still then the next time he jumped it from a trot. The whole time he was totally connected with me. It was COOL!!

Twosox was ready to ride so I got on. As soon as I got on I noticed a difference in the way the saddle felt. I was right on my balance point and it was AMAZING!! So we started off. I checked our lateral flexion and indirect rein. They were great. We did a little bit of follow the rail at the walk then I asked Twosox to trot. He gave me a beautiful, smooth trot. Plus he trotted the whole length of the riding ring!!! His head was lower. He wasn't really stretching but just the fact that he was trotting slowly and didn't break gait was great feedback. I was able to ride his trot sitting and rising. We played with that for a bit. Just trotting then walking then trotting again.

We did some Weaving, point to point, and then I asked Twosox to go sideways AND HE DID!!!! I hardly had to do anything and Twosox knew what to do and went sideways beautifully!!! I was shocked because normally it is a struggle getting Twosox to go sideways.

We ended there because the bugs were bad and I didn't want to ride to long. Well I did want to ride longer but it wasn't fair to Twosox when he was being driven crazy by bugs. I am SO happy that the saddle fit better. Now I just have to figure out a new shimming pattern for Prince. The saddle has started sliding forward again. *sigh* I think I know what I need to do though so hopefully it won't be to hard.

Well that is all for now!! I am still working on the videos from the play day. I got one done. It took me all of yesterday morning and a little bit in the afternoon then it was done!!!!! So it is getting there!!! The hard one will be one the whole play day because I have to pick and choice from something like 2 hours worth of footage :)

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment