Monday, July 27, 2009

Twosox play and ride!! FUN!!!!!

Twosox and I had a really FUN play time and ride today. I wanted to work on our Figure 8 pattern and play around with different yo-yo games. So when we got up to the riding ring I asked Twosox to back over a small log, in between the tire that we have planted standing up and the fence and then touch the bucket that was on the other side of that. Now I didn't have all that in my mind when we started but we just took it one step at a time and made it!! Twosox was okay with backing over the log and okay with backing in between the tire and fence but he had a little bit trouble with the bucket. Lots of approach and retreat and with in minutes he touched the bucket with his back leg. I am always amazed how much Twosox is willing to try. What a special boy!!

We then did some figure 8's. At first Twosox was being playful but then in a split second he became un confident. It was rather interesting. I was a little bit behind Twosox on that one but once I realized it I slowed down right to a walk and Twosox got a lot better. He still braced when he was going around the one barrel so I just asked him move his ribs over then after a couple time of doing that he walked around the barrel perfectly and we got a beautiful figure 8. Then I started asking him to walk around the barrels but trot through middle. Twosox did really well with that so we ended there. When I brought Twosox in he started licking and chewing and really thinking about that.

After that I asked Twosox to back up to the barrel. We took it really slow and Twosox was able to get about three steps from the barrel then he would either stop and look at the barrel or move his hind quarters out of the way and not be straight any more. So more approach and retreat. It took a long time.... or at least it seemed like a long time. We got closer to the barrel but Twosox was still not sure. So I didn't push it. We ended that when Twosox was really close to the barrel but still not touching it. We will have something to work on next time.

I then got on and rode. I so love my Wintec wide. It is SO comfy!!!! Twosox likes it too I think. We had a lot of fun riding. We did Weaving, circles, Follow the rail, Weaving with a supporting rein, Sideways, 9 step back up and Point to Point. It was SO much fun!! Twosox was really in tune to me and was listening to my seat. It was amazing.

One time after Twosox and I had been trotting around and doing some stuff I asked him to stop, it took almost nothing to stop him and he just stood there perfectly. Only a month or so ago Twosox would have stopped for a couple seconds then start walking again. So it was so cool that he just stood there and waited for me to ask him to go. I didn't think anything of it for a bit because I was telling my mom something but then I noticed how well he was standing. I was really proud of him!!!

Then just for fun I asked Twosox to bend his head around so I could take the hackamore off. He was perfect!! He held his head there nicely then after a couple minutes I put it back on. I was surprised that Twosox did so well but I know I shouldn't have been. He is such a great horse and is so willing to try.

Then I tied my savvy string around his neck and grabbed my carrot stick and we did some savvy string/ carrot stick riding. That went so well that I decided to take the hackamore off and ride brideless. I had checked everything before I took it off, stopping, back up, turning etc so I was confident that he would do really well. He did. Twosox never stops amazing me!!! Plus he never stops teaching me how to be even lighter. I still haven't found how to be light enough when I am asking him to go sideways. He is SO sensitive!!! Especially when we are riding, on the ground he is a little bit more tolerating.

So I took the hackamore off and we rode off. We did sideways, follow the rail, weaving, transitions, and point to point. Twosox was so light and responsive. He did AMAZINGLY well!!!! I was so proud of him. One time we went from a trot to a walk to a halt to a back up. All with just a light amount of pressure from the savvy string.

It was AMAZING ride!!!! Twosox was just incredible.

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment