Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Figure eights, change of directions, scarry sled, Liberty, Follow the rail.....

Twosox and I had an AMAZING play time this afternoon. It was so much fun! Each play time just gets better and better.

Today we did Circles, Change of directions, Transitions, Stick to me, Touch it, Leading by the tail, Sideways, drawing to me at the trot and lots more! Twosox was asking loads on questions the whole time and was offering so much!

We played on the 12ft line for a little bit to start the session. We did some falling leaf, squeeze game between the orange sled and the fence while Twosox was circling. Then we did some Stick to me walk/trot/ back up. Twosox was really responsive the whole time.  We also did some Touch it on the 12ft line. Twosox climbed right up on the pedestal with all four feet to no problem. It was so much fun!

Then we switched to the 22ft line and played with Transitions and Change of directions. Transitions were really good. Change of directions need a little bit of work but it was still fun! Twosox was really playful and one time when he bucked the rope got caught between his legs. I just leg go... fortunately the gate was closed. Went over and stood by the gate not sure what to do next. So I walked forward a couple steps and then asked him to disengage his hind quarters and face me, he did and then started to walk towards me so I started running backwards and he came trotting almost all the way across the corral to me! The look on his face was priceless!! It was so cool!

After a little rest we went over to the sled, Twosox sniffed it and checked it all over then I started dragging it. At first Twosox wasn't sure what to think about it so I just let him follow me at a distance until he got used to it. Pretty soon he was fine with it and was able to follow closely. Then we went and did Figure eights. Two complete figure eights to be exact. But THEY WERE SO AMAZING!  Twosox trotted both and didn't look away once! It was wonderful! I couldn't believe that our Figure eights are actually pretty much fixed! Twosox had a big lick and chew over that and we just spent some time hanging out together. Twosox had his head really low and was totally relaxed.

Then we went and did some Liberty... Stick to me walk/trot/ back up etc, Circles, Touch it, hindquarter yields, forequarter yields and some other stuff. Twosox stayed with me the whole time. Our draw is getting SO much better. I wanted to see if Twosox would go sideways over the barrel but he didn't quite understand it but that was okay. Since he was between me and the barrel I asked Twosox to come towards me and he JUMPED the barrel and then trotted into me!! It was so amazing! Twosox is a totally different horse ever since I have stopped treating him like a complete RBI and more like a very sensitive centered LBI.... we are both having WAY more fun also!

I had a sudden urge to ride Twosox so we went over and put the 12ft line back on and tied them into two reins, checked out lateral flexions and then I climbed on. We just stood there for a while then we walked off a long the rail and did one complete circuit of Following the rail. I only had to make about 2 corrections. Not bad for not having ridden in a couple months. Twosox was really relaxed the whole time but was still very sensitive and responsive. At the end, before I got off, Twosox had a HUGE lick and chew and started yawning and that was really good for Twosox! He was even fine with me sliding off him, normally he will jerk his head up no matter how slow and soft I get off him. Today though he was fine and it didn't bother him.

*sigh* I am so happy! Each time I play with Twosox I can hardly wait to play with him again! I love him so much and I am so glad God gave him to me! He knew exactly what I needed and I couldn't imagine my life with out my two wonderful horses!

~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment