Saturday, January 9, 2010

If feels good to have new arrows in your quiver...

Today I played with Twosox. Mr. Ron Pyne [who I had been emailing with about some issues that I have been having with Twosox] phoned today to talk to me about some new strategies to try with Twosox. Plus he had some comments about the video I sent him showing our main issues. So I went out this afternoon, very excited and I had some new arrows in my quiver. One thing he said was that Twosox is now more of a LBI... not all the time but he needs me to teach him more like a LBI now. 

Twosox was REALLY REALLY easy to catch.... he was practically begging me to halter him... I haven't played with him for a couple days.... well more like a week. 

We then went up to the riding ring to play. I was only planning on playing with our figure eights because it was live -20 something. But the opportunity came to do some circles, another thing Mr. Pyne gave me some strategies for. So we were off. I was definitely seeing the left brain side of Twosox. It was SO much fun!!! We did some traveling circles, LOTS of transitions [something Mr. Pyne said would help get Twosox's mind on me while circling], change of directions, Twosox even offered to canter a couple times! A couple times Twosox tossed his head, bucked etc and tried running off but I was able to hang on and play with it. I was having so much fun and I think Twosox was too!! It was asking loads of questions and was really in tune with me. 

I can't really pin point the change in me but there much have been some change because Twosox was even more LB then he was the last time we played. After the circles we went to Figure eights. I was prepared for what Twosox was probably going to give this time. Twosox didn't look away going around the left barrel but while was going around the right barrel... just like he did in the video, he looked towards the gate while he was coming around the barrel... so like Mr. Pyne suggested to do I brought Twosox in and gave him a treat.... why? So that he would have incentive to look at me instead of looking towards the gate. Hmmmm.... I never thought of that before!! So each time Twosox came around the barrel I brought him in and gave him a treat and a rest then sent him back out again. It took a while and it still is no where near perfect but when Twosox only looked away a tiny little bit when he was coming around the right barrel then looked at me with two eyes when I asked him to come to me I stopped and we ended there. 

It was really interesting thought because the whole time Twosox was being dominate. It was really fun!! I can't wait to play with Twosox again!!! We have a long way to go but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!!!


~K 

No comments:

Post a Comment