Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Prince: Bridling: Day One & Two

Okay so for the last two days I have done basically the same pattern with Prince in each session (adding a little bit of variety each time of course) but the basic pattern looks something like this: 

- Halter, scratch itchy spots etc
- Back out the gate (first day on the 12ft line second on the 45ft line) to the end of the rope and then I allowed Prince to graze for a little bit. Then we went over to the drive way (Yesterday, day two, was in the garage because of the bugs) and we played with creating positive patterns regarding the bridle. After that we went out, I allowed Prince to eat a little bit more and then headed back to the corral. 
That is the overview, each day looked something like this :) 

Day 1, May 30, 2011

This, being day one, I decided to keep things fairly short bridling wise and not do a whole lot other than the basic. Prince came over to me and so after I haltered him and scratched him for a while we backed out the gate (like I mentioned above) and we played the game, you back out to the end of the rope and then you can graze, Prince put a lot of effort into backing up and we ended up backing up all the way across the from yard (about 80ft), after some shorter yo-yo's of course. 

Here is my new strategy for bridle, I talked to a three star Parelli instructor yesterday and got some great advice, after guide the bit into Prince's mouth give him lots of cookies or treats, one or two isn't enough for some horses, some will need ten or maybe even more until they start seeing the bit and being bridled as a good thing. Also it will help counter-balance Prince not liking me asking him to yield to the pressure of the bit, even the slightest amount the next time he will want nothing to do with the bit. Since I didn't have cookies (planning on making some soon) I cut up some carrots and used them, Prince isn't used to getting carrots for a treat so it was extra special! 

Today all I did was bridle Prince four times, each time I did the same thing, guided the bit in, put it on loosely and then gave Prince lots of treats than unbridled. On the forth time Prince knew what was going to happen (he likes those carrots!) and he reached right for the bit and took it right in his mouth right away, didn't even bother to lick the little bit of honey off of it, so I gave him extra carrots, scratched some more itchy spots and then unbridled and allowed Prince to graze for a little bit before going back to the corral. 

Once Prince is more accepting of the bit going in and all I will start just doing lateral flexions and getting those really good. Once that is going well... well I am not exactly sure what I am going to do next. I will figure that out then :) But for now I know what my goal is and I want each session to end with both Prince and I feeling like winners! 


Day 2, May 31, 2011

Day two!! Today was interesting because the horseflies where out in full force (they about 10x bigger this year also) and it was 35 C. (95 F.) at 8:00pm... so it was hot!! I was hoping to ride Prince a little and play with opening and closing the gate (my youngest brother and I fixed it yesterday evening so it now can swing) but since the horseflies where biting something fierce we were fortunate enough to even be able to play with bridling! 

We were able to back all the way out to the end of the 45ft line and Prince grazed for a couple seconds before we made a V-line for the garage where the bugs wouldn't be so bad. We only had about 4ft (if that) of space because we have hay in there right now but Prince was a champ and we got relief from the bugs! 

Bridling went fairly well. On the third bridle I decided to do the bridle up. As soon as I did the chin strap up Prince's mouth went completely quiet! Hmmm.... that is interesting! Prince was still a little bothered by the bit though so I found a really, I repeat REALLY  big itchy spot and scratched, and scratched and scratched! Prince was enjoying that so much that he completely forgot about mouthing the bit and lifted his hind leg up way  high and completely enjoyed it. 

Then what I did next was I would lift up the reins and run my hand down it (like in level one you start your lateral flexions) and I kept doing that until Prince tipped his nose (or even ear) towards me. I rewarded the slightest try and then I would drop the reins (like they were hot) and then scratch the itchy spot again. Pretty soon Prince figured out what to do and I would pick the reins up and run my hand down the rein once and Prince would bring his head around the whole way. 

We ended there are it was getting windy and it looked like it might rain plus it was getting late and I needed to get some other chores done before going inside. I decided to do the other side tomorrow.

Prince grazed for a little bit before we went back to the corral, the other horses had left so we didn't spend to long grazing. I unhaltered Prince and he stayed with me for a little while before heading off to find the other horses. 

I was really pleased with how session two went and hopefully tomorrow we can build on today. I am thinking about purchasing a snaffle bit and bridle from Parelli.com, another thing that the Parelli instructor I talked to suggested. But I am going to give this a little longer to see if I can save $200 and just use my Cradle Bridle. But I am willing to do what Prince needs, we shall see :) 


Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment