Thursday, June 9, 2011

Twosox: Finding relaxation in zone five.

June 6, 2011

Twosox and I had a really revealing session this morning. We ended up focusing our whole session on zone five driving with one rein. We started with this as we entered the riding ring and right away I noticed that (1) Twosox wasn't really relaxed and (2) because he wasn't relaxed he wasn't in tune with me and connected. So I basically did a passenger lesson from zone five. I matched Twosox's energy and walked with him because he need to move his feet (being a Right Brain Introvert he doesn't need to move fast, just move) I didn't want to shut him down because that wouldn't help, it would only cause him to get confused because he wasn't connected in the first place. 
It took a while before I felt that Twosox was gaining more relaxation so I would just put a slight amount of pressure on the rope suggesting that Twosox stop. The first couple times he didn't understand what that pressure meant so we played with it until he started thinking "slow down" and then I would release and start over again. This took quite a bit of time but in the end it was completely worth it because Twosox started gaining more and more confidence and relaxation and by the time we ended we were able to do halt - walk - halt - back up transitions with one rein and Twosox was relaxed and left brain. 

Part way through I started to guide him just a little here and there and getting him more confident about being guided and keeping me in zone five. This went really well so we ended and both had a bit lick and chew! 

One thought that crossed my mind was how similar Twosox and I are personality/horsenality wise. It is almost scary! But at the same time it is fascinating because when I think about how I feel and would like to be treated when I am unconfident or worried, that is how I should most likely treat Twosox! It is really cool!

Twosox had a huge lick and chew afterward and let go of a lot of adrenaline. Then I unhaltered and we spend some undemanding time before heading over to the gate at liberty and then I let him out. But he stayed at the gate with me for a little longer before we went down the hill together and I got ready to play with Prince. 

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment