Sunday, June 5, 2011

Prince: Bridling: Day Three & Four

Day 3 ~ June 1, 2011

Today went very well! Prince is really starting to get this pattern, and like it! We yo-yo'ed to the end of the forty-five foot line and I only had to go to a higher phase (higher than phase one) about three times. I really made sure that I had my phases clear and always went back to phase one when Prince tried. Rewarding the slightest try! 
Then to change things up a little we circles at the trot with changes of directions. Prince found the rhythm, relaxation and connection really quickly and offered a nice, slow trot.

Than we did a traveling circle over to the drive way and did Figure eights around the basketball net (it had fallen over with the high winds) and the hockey net, yes we are a family that likes our sports :), that went well. At first I allowed Prince to check the two objects out and then we started the Figure eight. It was a little messy at first but then Prince figured out what we were doing and you could tell that it "clicked" because the Figure eight got smooth, Prince maintained gait around both ends, and he was asking loads of questions! We ended with a long trot draw across the yard and then we went and played with bridling. 

I bridled and unbridled two time and on the third time Prince reached for the bit and picked it up almost by himself! I love patterns! Horses get them so quickly! I found some big itchy spots and we had a huge scratching session :) Then we did the lateral flexions which went better than expected! Prince was light and had positive reflexes right from the start. He wasn't mouthing the bit at all!
Since those went so well I decided to mount up and check them Freestyle. I had my halter on and looped my lead rope through  my belt so that I could use that if I needed to and only use the bridle for lateral flexions. Prince was light and everything from the ground carried over to the riding. After we got a few really soft lateral flexions on both sides, and with Prince having no opposition reflex, I dismounted and allowed Prince to graze for a while. Then we headed back into the corral and got some relief from the bugs :)


Day 4 ~ June 2, 2011

Today was definitely the best day yet. Day four!! Prince backed out the gate and all the way to the end of the forty-five foot line and I only had to get to phase four once, which was a fairly light phase four, he got a little stuck at about the thirty foot mark as he still is not one hundred percent sure if he is supposed to stop or continue backing up. But then he figured it out and backed up to the end with lightness! 

Then we went and played with circles at the canter. I was just looking for a couple with rhythm, relaxation and connection. It took a while because we haven't done them in quite some time but eventually Prince found all three aspects that I was waiting for and I brought him in for a rest. What really helped in the end was making sure that I was focused and at first I was trying different things that have helped in the past, to help Prince find that connection, but in doing that I wasn't sticking to one long enough for Prince to really find it. So when I determined the length of rope that I was going to give Prince and then waited he found the connected almost immediately. It was eye opening! 

Prince had the rhythm ninety-five% of the time which was really amazing for him! He cantered at least fifteen  laps straight without breaking gait, he just didn't have that last one quarter of the circle connected. We also got some really nice flying lead changes in both directions with which I was really pleased.

After that we went and played with bridling. The really cool part is that I didn't even need to put any honey on the bit for Prince to pick it up! I was going to but right after I put the reins over Prince's head to keep them out of the way he was looking at the bit and reaching for it so I figured why not?!? If he really wants it so I offered it to him and sure enough, Prince took the bit right away and of course, got lots of treats afterward :) Sometimes we can make things so much harder and more complicated than they should be!!

I bridled Prince one more time after that and again Prince took the bit with no honey and this time it was really smooth! He lowered his head and softly took the bit into his mouth and then turned to me for his treat :) He is so clever! Then I did everything up. Prince hardly seemed bothered by the bit at all! Then we played with lateral flexions and holding them for longer. We got up to forty-five seconds on each side which was really amazing! A couple times hear the beginning Prince would go to move his head back but then feel the pressure from the bit and yield to it, which is exactly what I am looking for when he feels that pressure. I made sure to keep my hand steady and consistent to that he knew I wasn't pulling but it was him that "ran into" the pressure.

That all went well so I mounted up and we did the same thing. Prince was just as good as he was Online so after we got a couple lateral flexions I tried some indirect rein, which went really well!! Prince was fantastic and knew exactly what to do, thanks to them being really soft Freestyle and without a bit. I rewarded the first step that was soft and with no brace (it was the first step Prince gave me!!) and then after a lick and chew I decided to see if we could walk around and do a porcupine game and gently guide zone one around. This went marvelously well and Prince was soft and yielded to the bit with positive reflex verses the opposition reflex we have had so much of before. We did not do a whole lot as I just want to test it and see where it was at and I want to feed Prince with spoonfuls not shovelfuls :)

After that we checked out our lateral flexions again and did a couple more indirect rein (rewarding the slightest try) and then I dismounted. What a wonderful ride! It was simple yet so good!!

I allowed Prince to graze for a little while and then we headed back to the corral. We ended with a good scratching session and then I headed inside.

Onto day five!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment