Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ruffian: Online and Freestyle

June 20, 2011

Okay so I am yet again a week behind in my updates... I have been to busy playing with the horses and enjoying life to bother with blogging :) 
So now I have to play catch up. Ruffian and I had a really wonderful session this morning. I was going to play with and ride Prince first but Ruffian came over and really looked like he wanted to be played with so I decided to saddle him up and play with him. 
Ruffian was fine being saddled. I allowed him to check everything out (but not with his teeth) and then saddled up. I moved him around a little and did some hindquarter and forequarter yields getting a full pivot each side with lightness and speed. Then we did some yo-yo's just on the 12ft line. Next we played with squeezing between myself and the fence where the electric fence box is (it is mounted on the other side of the fence) Ruffian had never liked going on that side and I think it is because of the ticking that the box makes but at the same time there is nothing that is going to happen to him so it is a matter of him trusting me as his leader because I know that everything is okay. 

So we played with this for a while and eventually Ruffian was able to walk calmly from one side to the other and back again through a 7ft gap or so. This was a huge improvement from when we started so we ended there. Ruffian had a bit lick and chew and then we headed up to the riding ring. 

We played on the 22ft line and did some traveling circles falling lead, and jumping. Ruffian bucked some going into the canter on the circle but once he was able to canter almost a full circle each way and not buck or show any signs of being bothered by the saddle I brought him in for a rest. 

We played with jumping single barrels as well as a line of barrels. Ruffian had not issues with jumping with the saddle so I mounted up after checking our lateral flexions. We were in the middle of the riding ring when I mounted and I only had my halter and lead rope on so after we checked out our lateral flexions and indirect rein we went over to the rail and rode the rail until we got to where my hackamore was and I put that on while mounted. Ruffian was great and stood still and knew exactly what I was asking of him even though it was the first time we have every done something like that, it was fun :) 

Then we did more Follow the rail at the walk and trot. We were able to get a full lap at the trot in each direction which was really amazing! I love Ruffian's trot, it is so smooth! Then we played with our 9 step back-up and getting that straight. I wasn't to particular about speed but I didn't want Ruffian to learn to back up in a zig-zag :) 

Ruffian was great the whole ride and I was really pleased with how well he responded and I think that the main thing I learned was not to be to particular at this stage, yes I am not letting Ruffian get away with things but if it doesn't get something right away or if he doesn't do it perfectly that it okay. If he is trying then reward that try. He is just learning! 

After I unsaddled we headed over to the sandy part of the riding ring and Ruffian got down and rolled. Hopefully he will learn that he can roll after we ride, and not during our ride :) So far so good ;) 

Naturally,
~Keri-Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment