Sunday, June 12, 2011

Prince: Sideways on the 45ft line and Bridling: Day Five

June 6, 2011

Prince and I had a really great session this morning. We played on the 45ft line again and mainly played with getting sideways to the end of the line while I kept my feet still. This was a lot of fun. Prince and I are playing with getting snappier responses from farther distances, so case in point, while going sideways Prince will get about 22ft and then start slowing down and at about 25ft he stops. Normally I would just go up my phases until he moved off again but today I decided to try something a little more fun and provocative and something that would really get Prince to want me to stay at phase one. 

So with Prince starting in front of me I asked him to go sideways. He started off really nicely and put great speed into it, but like usual his speed slowly faded until he stopped this time though I got a sneaky look on my face got really mentally intense and then ran towards Prince's zone three twirling my carrot stick and savvy string... Prince got out of there pretty quick. He didn't go sideways exactly but he moved over with effort so I rewarded that and then we went again. 

It took only two times and then all I had to do was get that look on my face when Prince started slowing down and he would pick up speed again and go sideways to the end of the 45ft line at phase one, while I kept my feet still the whole while. Prince is so clever ;) 

By this time the bugs where getting bad so we ended with a beautiful yo-yo to the end of the 45ft line. I used the same strategy as with the sideways and Prince knew what to do :) The look on his face while he was backing out was great! He was interested! 

We then headed down to the garage where we bridled. Like last day I didn't have to use any honey on the bit. Prince saw me holding the bridle and getting it ready and he started reaching for it and stretching to get the bit in his mouth! It was really cool! I did the bridle up and then scratched his itchy spots and did some lateral flexions which we very light. I decided to switch the reins from the small rings to the big rings and see how Prince did with those. He was fine and seemed to like them also. 

The bugs were to bad to ride so we finished shortly after that and went back to the corral. It was a fun, but short, session but definitely let us with lots of licking and chewing to be done :)

Naturally,
~Keri-Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment