Monday, March 1, 2010

Prince: Change of directions, backing up in a circle and more.

 February 27 2010

I had a really fun play time with Prince today. It was raining on and off but I was able to get out when it was not raining. Just after I got out though the rain really started to come down. But since I was already out I didn't mind. I am the type of person that has a really hard time getting out (especially when it is gray and cloudy out) but once I am out I am fine. So that is always a challenge for me. I had to laugh though then it started raining because that was the exact reason I didn't want to go out... because it was supposed to start raining. God has a sense of humor I think ;) He knew that if it was raining I wouldn't go out but once I was out I would stay out. It was fun playing in the rain!

Prince and I had a great play time though. We played at Liberty a little bit in the corral. Prince is really getting good a spinning. It is great! After I haltered him we went up to the riding ring. On our way up the hill Prince actually cantered to catch up to me! Which was really special because Prince has a rather bit trot and normally can keep up with me with out having to go very fast. I was totally out of breath by the time we were up the hill. The snow was deep and slippery but we made it. After that we did some Touch it and then some Stick to me. Prince is getting really good at cantering with me when I started cantering in my body. To started we would just go in circles but now we are able to go in straight lines too! 
After that we did circles. Prince was willing to canter a lot so we did that first. We are getting so close to where I will be able to mark off the cantering 6-10 laps on a circle on the self assessment sheet! It is exciting! Then we did some change of direction. The first two were incredible!  Prince cantered the whole way through one! The third one wasn't as good. So I waited till Prince relaxed and found a slower rhythm at the trot before I ask for anther one. It made a huge difference and the next couple were great. Prince even did a couple at the canter but I am not sure if he did a flying lead change. It is something I am going to put a lot more research into now because we are actually consistently getting the change of direction. 

Then we went and played around with the barrels that where in the middle of the corral. Once I asked Prince to jump them a couple times I asked him to straddle it. He did it perfectly! It was really neat because it just showed that he was in tune with me and not just assuming that I wanted him to jump them or straddle it. So that was neat. By this time the rope was getting very wet and heavy so I decided to do one more thing and then end. I wanted to teach Prince to back in a circle... and well what can I say? Prince caught on the first try. He backed over 1/2 a circle and seemed to read my mind! It was so cool! After that I let Prince go but he stayed with me so I rubbed him for a while and we spent some undemanding time together. It was very special. 

Naturally,
~Keri   

No comments:

Post a Comment