Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's not about the...

Breed.

It is too cold to play with the horses today. So I was watching some Level 4 Online Auditions to get an idea of what the Parelli's are looking for in that level. As I was watching one Audition, I don't know what triggered it, but I started thinking about how I have had quite a few people look shocked when I say that I want to pass my Level 4 with Prince. I have had comments like "You're really going to do your Level 4 with him?" "Why don't you do it with one of your other horses?" etc, etc.

Yes, I understand Prince isn't a top notch, athletic, "won't miss a flying lead change for his life" type horse. But it isn't about the.... breed. Of course I am not going to expect Prince to compete in high level dressage competitions, because that isn't what he is build to do. Now people may say that Prince isn't "build to do" flying lead changes, jump high jumps etc, etc but I do not see any reason for him not to be able to try and shock people when he succeeds! When people tell me things like this, when I hear them say such things and when I see the look on their faces it just makes me even more determined to do it.

It may take more hard work, time, heart and desire but I am 100% willing to do it and to succeed... Prince can do it. He can do flying lead changes, Prince can canter 40 laps, Prince can jump higher, run faster, and go farther... if I get his heart. If I can prove to him that I am a leader worth following. If I can help him get him mentally, emotionally and physically collected. If I can be the human that he has always dreamed of having.

I am not putting a time limit on this goal. I am not going to make Prince do it, because I can't. My goal is to cause Prince to want to do those flying lead changes and jump those high jumps all because he sees me as his leader and trusts me.

Yes I will take other horses through Level 3 and into Level 4. Twosox and Ruffian have just as much heart and desire as Prince does. Prince may not be bred for high level cutting, jumping, dressage, reining, or anything. He may just be a normal, ordinary Halfinger... but he is special to me and he is my perfect partner.

It is not about the breed. Yes breeding is important when you aim for the competition ring or for a specific sport, yes some breeds of horses do better at jumping than in cutting but that doesn't mean that just because a horse is one breed doesn't mean that it is excluded from trying.

Prince may not be headed for the winners circle but my goal is to gain our black string together, Lord willing of course. People may say it is impossible, they may think it is crazy but I don't and I am willing to give it my all.

"There is nothing you can't do when your horse becomes a part of you" Mr. Parelli

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. I have that exact dream with my 12.2 h Haflinger Mare... We've passed Level 1 online and level 2 freestyle.... We're getting there and I'm sure we can do it. "HEART AND DESIRE!" <--- All there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job!!! That is wonderful!! I am sure you can do it also! Just never give up :)

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete