Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Prince: LBI gone RBE

January 11 2011

Prince and I definitely had an interesting but very fun (for myself) play time today. Mom and I decided to take Prince and Knightly for a walk down the old rail road track, where we normally trail ride. Since it was so cold though we just decided to do it Online. We were also hoping that a snowmobile or two would go by just so that we could see how the horses would respond. That when if we are trail riding down that way and one does go by, we will have a better idea of how they will respond.

So off we went. I decided to make it a bit more interesting and do it from zone 5 with two lines. Prince and I haven't had a chance to do a whole lot of that lately so I thought it would be really fun. Plus it would test Prince's confidence in me as a leader to go through tight spaces and etc, where Prince would have to go first.

At first everything went well. We walked up through town with no issues. Prince was confident and curious. We hit one threshold when we had to go between two buildings and the snow was melting and dripping off the rooves so Prince really wasn't sure about that so we just did some approach and retreat and soon he was able to walk through it with no problem.

Then we took a short rest in the parking lot behind the buildings before we walked up a hill and onto the old rail road track. After we had gone up the hill and were walking along the road I heard this sound that sounded like some snowmobiles! Great I thought! Here is our chance to test it out! But as we continued walking along we soon found out that the noise was neither coming towards us or going away. There was a slight hill in the road so we couldn't see what it was until we got closer and then I saw it.... it was one of those cherry-picker type trucks that was cutting trees down from the side of the road. Prince was a little bit concerned to say the least. So we just waited and waited and didn't go any farther until he was more calm.

We were able to get about 250ft away from it but there we came across a big threshold and I decided to not proceed any farther from zone 5. I knew that it wouldn't be the savvy thing to do considering the state of mind in which Prince was. It was a good thing that I untied my reins when I did because Prince was right brain and needed to move his feet. So we did some squeeze games, sideways and yo-yo's until he was more relaxed, still not totally left brain again but he was at least paying more attention to me.

Then just as things where getting better a big propane truck turned down the road... I have to say, in that moment I didn't think "Oh boy" or "How interesting" but "Great" with a bit of sarcasm there ;)

I quickly changed my thoughts and my frame of mind and got REALLY focused. I knew that in that moment Prince needed me to be an even stronger leader and I had to be mentally, emotionally and physically collected and focused. We moved onto a side driveway just so that I would have a bit more room to play and we did sideways, walk and trot, and then I backed Prince all the way out to the end of the 45ft line. That gave me a task and goal and that in turn focused me and focused Prince. He had a big lick and chew over that and then we carried on. He was much more relaxed, even though he wasn't totally calm yet, and I think a major part of that was because I was way more focused. At first everything was distracting both Prince and I but from that moment on I knew I had to stay focused and be the leader.

We were able to walk a little closer to the truck and just as Prince was about to relax and really let go of a lot of adrenaline one of the workers from the truck, all dressed in orange, helmet and all (you couldn't even see his face) came walking towards us. The look on Prince's face was like "Oh no not again. Now here comes a big orange monster" I don't blame him. The guys did look scary.

Prince and I immediately walked away and I let Mom and Knightly, who was way calmer through out the whole situation, deal with that. The guys just wanted to know if we wanted by... hehe of course he didn't know but I think the horses would have literally left the planet if we had to gone by that truck!! We said no and that we were just getting them used to the noise and such.

After that I though that things would probably get better as they were already and Prince was way more left brain. But then three four wheelers when by... Prince didn't really get to bothered by them until they started waving... he spooked a little at that but it wasn't a big deal. Also along the course of our outing two trucks and a van went by.... of course we had to pick the busiest day to come out ;)

We left for home when the horses, especially Prince, were calm and left brain again. The interesting thing through out the whole experience was that (1) even though Prince was RB he was still listening to me and not running me over and (2) I learned how much energy I have to get in Prince so that when I smooch to ask for a trot while going sideways, Prince will pick up a sideways at a trot ;) Okay so maybe not that much energy but it was still really interesting!!

All in all it was a very interesting session and we learned a lot!! I can laugh at it now but while going through it, especially the first part, it wasn't a laughing matter. Hopefully next time we go that way it will be quieter :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment