Monday, January 17, 2011

Prince: Learning curve...

January 14 2011

Prince and I had one of those sessions that you know you will come away at the end of the day having learned something...
Our focus point was sideways at a trot... one of those things that I kind of avoid like some people avoid the porcupine game ;) Oh well that is not entirely true. Part of the reason Prince and I had not played with it in a while is because (1) It was been to icy and (2) it is even more challenging because of the way our riding ring fences are and how small the riding ring is. Today though I wanted to play with it because I know that once we get it, it will be a lot of fun and our relationship will be just that much better!

So off we went. We did not start with it though. We started with Figure eight and circles but quickly found out that it was to icy yet for circles. Figure eights we could do though. They were good. At first I had to make sure that I kept it mentally interesting for Prince and kept him engaged. Once I got that it went really well and we got two nice Figure eights at the trot with rhythm, relaxation and connection while I kept my feet still!!

One thing that was playing through my head as we were doing the Figure eights was to give Prince the responsibility and then if he doesn't withhold it, help him but make sure not to take it from him. Do not micromanage!!!

After that we did Sideways. I made sure that we could do sideways at a walk from different distance, that went well so off we went. It was hard. Prince either did not get it or he wasn't going to do it. I tried different strategies and none of them really helped so we ended on a better note after quite a while.

Prince will trot to the fence on a half circle and then I can push him sideways-ish along the fence but I am not convinced he is going sideways because as soon as he gets right to the fence he will break gait and when he is trotting I think his hindquarters are lagging to much for it to actually be sideways... but it may just be that I am being to particular but I am not sure. So I went in and had a lot to think about.

After having quite a while to think about it all, I think that the reason that Prince isn't trotting sideways is because he doesn't understand what I want. When I think back over the things that have been hard for us to do and what I had to do to help Prince succeed, it has been a lack of understanding that has been the root of the problem. Once I slow down and really made sure that Prince knows what to do, he will do it and it will be a million times easier. So that is what I am going to try the next time we play.

I also did some research and got some strategies that I am going to try next time also!!

Naturally,
~Keri


No comments:

Post a Comment