Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ruffian: Having fun with circles!

January 4 2010

This morning the horses weren't in so Mom and I went out to find them and to play. Since we had a couple really warm days there is a lot ice so that made things extra interesting. We couldn't play or ride in the riding ring because it was almost complete ice so we decided to stay in the turn around and play there. The horses were playing when we got there but they came over to us when they saw us. Ruffian really wanted to be played with and we got a really nice draw at the trot all the way from the other end of the turn around! So I haltered him and we set off. 
We were doing some really nice Falling Leaf but then Ruffian suddenly stopped, there was a ice everywhere under the snow. So we headed back to where it was better and we did some circles. They were going fairly well so we did some changes of directions. Just as I was thinking that I had to be careful not to do to many changes of directions because they get his adrenaline up and then Ruffian gets worried and might take off... well just as I was thinking that Ruffian took off. 

After I got him back, which wasn't hard because he just went to the other horses and then came back to me when I asked him too, we went over and played with the big log. We did Changes of directions there except I would ask Ruffian to jump the log every time. That way he had to think about it and not get so worried. 

This worked really well and Ruffian stayed relaxed and connected. They got really good at the end and so we stopped. Then we went out and played with some zone 3 driving/touch it. Ruffian wasn't totally confident with me being in zone 3 while we were walking to different places but after we did some Touch it he gained his confidence back fairly quickly. 

One thing we needed to play with though was when ever Ruffian was trying to avoid some ice he would come into my space. So I had to get firm and make sure that he wasn't coming into my space. Once he got that though he ended. The last thing I wanted was to have Ruffian think that the best place to go when gets worried is into my personal space :)

Ruffian was really relaxed when we ended and he was also motivated and obedient! It was great! It was nice to get out and play in a different place also :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment