Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fun fun fun!!

Monday Oct 12 2009

I had a shorter play time with Prince today. It was still really good though. We played with some Figure eights. Prince was having trouble going around the one side so we played with that. He finally figured it out and our figure eights were so soft!!!

We also did some sideways towards me, leading by the tail [we backed up about 10ft with just a few hairs!!!!!] We did Change of directions, transitions, and spinning. At first Prince was having a hard time getting his forequarters over but  once he got it he did REALLY well. We also played around with jumping one barrel. Prince jumped it the first time but didn't really put a lot of effort into it so we played with it until he jumped it the whole way [not just jumping half and walk over the other half]. Prince started asking questions and then finally he figured it out and jumped it. We After we had played for a bit I got on and rode. I put the bareback pad on Prince for the first time in a long time!! It was soooooo comfy!!! I hardly knew I wasn't riding a saddle!!! I will be using that a lot this winter that is for sure!!!

Prince did so well at Follow the rail. We did quite a bit of trotting too. As long as I stayed focused I was fine and could ride his trot no problem. Prince stayed right on the rail and I hardly needed to correct him. Our indirect and direct rein has gotten a million times better. Prince is soft and very responsive now. It was amazing!!! One thing that has really helped is that I put what Mr. Parelli calls a "California roll" in my reins so they are still casual but are shorter. That seems to be working really well because I can be more effective soon.... "Do less sooner rather than more later" right? ;)

Since it was going so well I decided to change things up a little. We did sideways over a two tires [even that was better!!! Prince followed my focus and I didn't even need to use my carrot stick!!!] Then we started the Figure eight pattern. This pattern has always been hard for both Prince and I. So it will be interesting to see how it progresses. It wasn't to bad though. I had a harder time focusing and I think that was part of the problem but we will play with it and see how it goes.

Prince and I walked over to the fence and I asked Prince to go sideways right over to it so I could get off. Prince did really well with that. So all in all our ride was really good. Ever ride I have a plan and I know what to do so that really really helps. I love the Patterns!!

~K



No comments:

Post a Comment