Thursday, October 1, 2009

Online & Liberty with Twosox and a super fun Liberty session with Ruffy

Yesterday I played with Twosox and after him Ruffy self selected himself for a play session. It was so nice out side. It was a perfect fall day. A little rainy but not bad. My mom and I took the horse to the turn around to play. I was pretty sure that Twosox would be a little bit worried because we haven't played there in a while so I was prepared. He wasn't to bad though. The other horses came with us so that helped. He was still a little right brain so I made sure to give him a job right away. It was SO much fun playing in the turn around. There are hills, trees, logs, wet spots, etc lots of fun!!!

The only thing I had planned on doing was some Liberty and traveling circles. Our traveling circles were really good. Twosox didn't break gait [he was trotting] and even when I sent him up hills, over logs/trees, went through squeezes he was find!! It was really fun!!! We also did some circles in a smaller space. Twosox had to really watch where he was going. It was interesting!!

After we had played a bit Twosox really started relaxing. It was a wonderful sight to see!! He even fell asleep! Then we went over to the round corral and did a little bit of Liberty. Nothing to big because Twosox was a little bit unsure of what to do. A couple times he got "stuck" and didn't know what he should be doing so we spent a lot of time just spending time together. Our draw has gotten a lot better!! We took it really slow because I didn't want to push him over a threshold. After a little bit we went back Online and did some Stick to me at the trot. Before Twosox would stick with me but be about 4 ft away from me instead of beside me. So we played with that. Twosox got really good. One this that was interesting was that when I put my hand on his neck he got a lot more confident!! Hmmmmm..... How interesting!!

I played around with him feet a little bit. There was a small log in the round corral, I asked Twosox to put his foot on it. He put his toe on it and just left it there. I then went and looked at his foot. It was interesting that is for sure!! I am now seeing things that I never saw before!! So that is good!!

After I let Twosox go Ruffy came up and was following me around so we went into the round corral and played at Liberty for a bit. It was SO much fun!!!! He is a blast to play with because if I put to much pressure on him he will get unconfident but then sometimes he will be really playful. So it was a lot of fun!!!

We started with some Friendly game and driving game. I was just assessing what he could do. Our draw was a little sticky but I can understand that because I am just not my sister whom he adores... despite the fact everyone thinks we look alike ;)

Ruffy was being really playful and I have learned that it is better to go with him then hold him back. So I took want he offered [which was run away] and I asked him to jump the tree that is hanging over the side of the round corral. It fell there sometime in the summer and has been there ever since. It was a fun obstacle!!! Ruffy [being the LBE he is] picked the highest part to jump. It was SO cool seeing him jump!!! He is so athletic!!!!! Ruffy flew over it then turned and face me and asked a question like "did you see that!?!? Aren't I so good!?!" He came right with his ears forward. Another we played with because Ruffy would come in with his ears back... big no no for left brain horses!! :)

Then we did some circles. Ruffy had so much energy. We did canter sends, change of directions, jumping the tree again, and sideways. One time I put a little to much pressure on Ruffy and he got unconfident. So then we played with that. I could tell it immediately because Ruffy started looking out and couldn't give me two eyes when he was coming in. Lots of approach and retreat. Ruffy had a lot of trouble circling to the right. Not sure what but we played with it anyways. He slowly got more confident but he was still having a lot of trouble circling to the right. He had a threshold right near the gate, which I had noticed when my sister was playing with him at Liberty but I didn't recognize it for some reason. So just before he got tot he gate I would disengage him and bring him in. Slowly but surely he started going farther and farther then he was able to walk up to the tree and paw it etc. So I brought him in. He was so good!!!

Then we went back Online and I asked Ruffy to jump the tree going to the right. As soon as he was Online the normal LBE Ruffy came back. It was so cool!! I have never seen him switch back and forth so much!! He was totally fine jumping it to the right.

Then I let him go. What a neat horse!! It rained on and off while we were playing but that was okay. It never really down poured so that was nice. It did snow some this morning!!!! It didn't snow long but just enough to make me realize that winter IS coming!!! Whether we like it or not!! :)

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment