Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Prince: I think I am getting it!

June 15 2010 

This morning the horses were in the field when mom and I went out. So we played there first and then came home. Prince and I had a lot of fun. I didn't ask him to canter on the 45ft line today because I really want to get him connected to me at the trot in open spaces before I ask for the canter. Prince did really well. We did 30 circles to the left and 37 to the right. Ruffian and Twosox left between the time that we did the circles to the left and to the right so Prince wasn't as connected to me. But in the end we got it. I was really pleased with how well Prince did considering we weren't in the riding ring. Hopefully it will just keep getting better. 
When we got to the corral we saddled up and then went up to the riding. We didn't need to do a whole lot because Prince was already in tune with me. So we just did some jumping single barrels, straddling them, a little bit of cantering, stick to me, hindquarter and forequarter yields (using the porcupine game) and Touch it. Then I mounted up. 

We started with lateral flexions, we are now up to 30 seconds on each side that Prince will hold the lateral flexion! Then we did direct and indirect rein. Each one Prince did very well. When I asked Prince to do a direct rein I made sure to focus on asking him to move his shoulder over. He did it almost perfectly! I didn't even need to use my reins and Prince was pivoting really well. I can tell that getting our porcupine game lighter on the ground has made a huge difference in our riding. When we did an indirect rein Prince planted his front foot and pivoted on it plus he put a lot of effort into it!!

Then we did circles! This time I had a barrel in the center which helped. At first Prince just wanted to go to the middle and rest... LBI much? He knows exactly where the rest it! After Prince realized that he wasn't getting a rest quite yet he started doing better. I had a really hard time focusing and getting mentally connected to what I was asking Prince to do after that but I was able to fix that and once I did the next two circles were beautiful!! I didn't need to use my carrot stick at all and I hardly needed to correct Prince. We took a long rest at the barrel for that. Then we went out in the other direction. We didn't have as much trouble but Prince kept wanting to go to the center so at first our circles were more like potatoes. Then I felt Prince change and we trotted a circle, a beautiful circle, I didn't have to correct Prince and it was closer to the barrel but not really really close, probably about 12 feet from the barrel. It was amazing to feel Prince change and he got connected to the circle. It was cool! 

After that while Prince took a nap I helped mom with her Figure eights. Then Prince and I went and rode some wonderful figure eights at the walk. On the one end I had to help Prince more but going around the other one, I only had to correct Prince once or twice! It was so cool!

Up next was sideways. At first I didn't feel that I was being clear enough in what I was asking so we took some time to figure that out. Prince would get confused between an direct rein and sideways. So I knew that I needed to be very clear in what I was asking. It didn't take long before I was able to figure it out and it made a big difference to Prince. Even though at first he still got a little confused by the end he knew the difference between sideways and direct rein. Prince was so light. All I have to do to ask him to back up is wiggle my next a little bit and he will back up. We also played with indirect rein and I didn't use my reins at all. Prince got really good at listening to my body and responded so well. 

I have really been trying to not use my reins and not bother Prince's head unless I am asking for something that really needs them. I think it has helped me become a better rider and my phases have gotten better. Plus it is a fun challenge ;) Prince stayed with me after I let him go so I asked him to smell his tail. He brought his head around by himself and we got 10 seconds!! It wasn't perfect but it was 10 seconds. Now we just need to get that solid.

It was definitely a great play time and ride. Prince was incredible!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment