Monday, June 14, 2010

Ruffian: Having so much fun!

June 14 2010

Even though I wasn't planning on it, I played with Ruffy this afternoon. A rare treat to be able to play in the afternoon! I have to say, we both had a blast!!! It was so much fun. We started off with some small things. One thing was that I stood about 20ft away and asked Ruffy to walk up to a barrel and then jump it. At a phase one Ruffy flew over the barrel and then turn faced and waited! It was amazing! After that we did circles! But I have to say, these were so much better then the last time we did circles. Ruffian was so connected to me! We did some circles at the trot and then at the canter. I asked Ruffy to canter one lap each way. He caught on really fast and was happy to do it. We also got a canter draw too! Which was cool! 

Then after that we went over to the barrels. One by the fence and the other two were part way out, making a triangle with out the last point. I asked Ruffy to walk up to the first one, stop, then jump it part and and straddle it. He did that perfectly then I asked him to go sideways off of it and we went over to the one by the fence and did the same thing, then came sideways towards me and then went over to the other one and did the same thing. On the last one though I kind of had the feeling that Ruffy just assumed that I wanted him to straddle it. So we went back to one of the other barrels and I asked him to jump it from a walk. He did. I just can't get over this horse! He is so cool!

After that we did a little bit of leading by the tail. Ruffian will back up a couple steps and then go turn a little bit. So I have been playing with different thing for the past while but today I think I might have figured it out. Ruffian isn't totally confident backing into things, putting an obstacle in zone 5 and seeing as I am in zone 5 when I ask him to back up by the tail... interesting eh? So since Ruffian was in a great learning frame of mind I decided to teach him to back up to things, confidently. It took a little bit but we finally got it. By the end he backed right up to the barrel and stood there confidently. 

We then went down the hill and I took Ruffian out to graze for a while. He really enjoyed that. We had such a fun time playing! Ruffian is such an amazing and I love him so much!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment