Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ruffian: Connection!!

June 12 2010

This morning it was raining. So I wasn't planning on going out and playing but I had a sudden urge to get out and do something with them, even if I got drenched in the process. So out I went. The horses weren't in so plan A couldn't be fulfilled. So I took plan B into action. I went out and found the horses. They were in the field trying to find what ever grass they could. When they saw me all four looked up. When Knightly that it was just me he went back to eating but Prince, Twosox and Ruffian all stared at me [possibly thinking that I was crazy to be out in the rain ;)] then they all came over to me. I have to say, that made my day! My heart did a cartwheel! It was so special! They all stuck around for a bit and then Prince started eating, Ruffian was determined to have me play with him and Twosox just stood there behind me looking very content. So I decided to play with Ruffy. I only had a 12ft line for a rope so I knew I couldn't do lots and lots of running around. So we did some small things. I let Ruffy move his feet a little. We did some circles at the trot. Ruffian didn't want to trot. So I was patiently persistent and after a little while he trotted nicely. Now the interesting thing is this... Ruffian was connected!!! He had rhythm. relaxation and connection! Even on a 12ft line. It was incredible. I couldn't even feel him on the end of the rope. We did it both way. Then we did some sideways, yo-yo's and porcupine games. 
The whole time I being very particular with out being critical. Ruffian responded very well and was light and tried really hard. When we did forequarter and hind quarter yields Ruffian did well. He wasn't as light as I wanted but he is getting there. Near the end he gave me some really nice yields. Then we hung out for a bit. I waited for Ruffy to lick and chew and then I took the halter off. Ruffian stayed with me though and didn't leave. Just as I was un haltering Ruffy Twosox layed down so I went over and sat with him for a long time. Ruffian came over too and took a nap. And then after a little while Prince looked at me and came over. So there I was, Twosox laying down and Ruffian and Prince standing near me. It was wonderful. After a while it started raining harder so I decided to head home. 

It was a really nice time just being with my horses and hanging out in their world for a bit. 

Naturally,
~Keri

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Keri, I can just imagine how peaceful and wonderful that must have been. You have amazing relationships with your horses. Such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete