Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prince: Circles, jumping, point to point... and a special surprise at the end!

Yesterday (February 9 2010)  I had a wonderful play time with Prince. We started with a little bit of Liberty in the corral. Instead of haltering Prince and then putting the bareback pad on him I decided to put the BB pad on Prince and then halter him. Prince stood perfectly still and was really good! Then we did some sideways (while I kept my feet still), stick to me and then I asked Prince to back into the shelter while I stood about 20ft away. It was so much fun! Prince was really interested too! After that I haltered Prince and I we went up to the riding ring. To start off with we did some Touch it. Some of tires that were covered in snow were starting to peak through so I sent Prince to all of them while I stood on the pedestal. Prince did really well and found most of them!

After that I asked Prince to come to me and then get up on the pedestal while I was standing on it. Then I asked him to put all four feet up on it. Prince was happy to just stand there so I massaged his legs and then climbed under him. I didn't go all the way under though and just stayed right under him and rubbed him then came back.

Then we went over to the other side of the corral and I asked Prince to canter on the circle. He did so well! He broke gait a couple times but then picked up the canter again pretty quickly and that was with me standing still! The last lap and a half or so I walked around a little bit and Prince cantered the whole circle and a half with out breaking gait. The bareback pad started to slip... okay it had  slipped right onto Prince's side. So I decided bring Prince in. It wasn't the most beautiful circles ever but they were a lot better than last day.

Before I got on to ride I set the barrels up side by side but put them length ways. Then asked Prince to jump them. I shouldn't have been surprised when Prince trotted up (a rather slow trot too) and jumped right over them! He flew right over and didn't even touch the barrels!! It was so cool!!

After that I prepared to get on. I tied the 22ft line into a hackamore type thing and went to the pedestal. I am totally out of shape in the jumping on my horse area. I just couldn't do it! Poor Prince. He stood nice and still while I tried to get on then finally I made it! After I was up we just stood there for about a long time doing nothing. It was so nice! Okay that may sound weird but it was! It was so nice just to be with my horse, not having to go anywhere , do anything, just being able to stand there in the sun and feel really blessed that I have such a wonderful horse that is willing to try! We may not be doing really fancy things and we may not get everything on the first try but Prince still tries! And to me that is worth way more  than being able to do really fancy things. Parelli is way more than riding!

We didn't do a whole lot of stuff while we were riding. We played with refining our indirect rein and also going from a indirect rein to a direct rein/pivot of the hindquarters. Prince did really well! We also did sideways over a barrel, point to point at a trot, backing up with out using my reins and some other stuff. It was really fun! Prince is getting very light and tries really hard to do what I am asking... even if he doesn't quite do the right thing ;) The last and best thing we did was I asked Prince to stand on the pedestal with all four feet then I stood up on him!! It was a lot of fun! Prince didn't move an inch the whole and I wasn't even holding my reins! Even after I sat down again Prince just stood there looking around. It was really special!

After that I got off. I let Prince go but he just stayed with me then we walked over to the gate and then he left. It was such a wonderful play time! :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment