Thursday, February 4, 2010

Twosox: Catching game, mini trail ride and more!

This afternoon I played with Twosox.... Prince.... and Ruffian. I wasn't planning on playing with all three but it kind of... well.... happened. It was sure fun though!

To start with Twosox and I played the catching game. Twosox is really good at turning and facing me but he seems to get stuck there and won't or can't come to me.... or maybe he just doesn't no what to do. So we played with that. After a couple tries he finally comes to me. I didn't halter him right away. After a while I asked him to do a couple small things at Liberty. He did really well but then we lost connection and he left. This time he was a lot easier for him to come to me. So that was nice! We did a couple more things at Liberty then I haltered him. I decided to climb on the fence and play from up there before heading up to the riding ring.

Twosox offered to line up right beside the fence as if I was going to get on. So I spent some time playing friendly. Twosox eventually fell asleep. I decided that take it a step at a time and see what Twosox thought about me getting on him. He was fine with me having my leg on his back so after a while I slid on. Twosox was perfectly fine. He didn't walk off or anything. So we just stood there for a while then we turned around to face my mom who was sitting on the gate rubbing Ruffian. Twosox was happy to just stand there and relax and so was I. I had the 22ft line on him so we didn't do a whole lot. Just some lateral flexions, indirect and direct rein and a couple other small things. Then my mom suggested that I try riding towards the gate and see how that went. So we switched to a 12ft line and off we went. Twosox did really well. He wanted to go back to the horses so we took our time and before we knew it we were at the gate. After a rest at the gate my plan was to go out the gate a little ways and turn around and go back to the side of the corral that we started at. But Twosox was happy to just stay on the outside of the corral for a little bit so we explored around (not to far from the corral though) then went back in. Even though I really wanted to go farther and I felt that Twosox would have been okay also I thought that it would be better to end on the good note we had.

We rode straight to the other gate and I got off there. Twosox was relaxed the whole time we were riding. It was really great! Plus I felt 100% confident. Which it has only been the last couple rides that I have felt that way... ever since the time I fell of Twosox back in the summer I didn't have complete confidence when I rode but fortunately it was just a little bit and I was able to move closer and stay longer and now I am fine! :)

So even thought it wasn't a "normal" play session I was really pleased at how well it went!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment