Saturday, February 20, 2010

Prince: Stick to me, straddling the barrels and more!

Today Prince and I had a great play session! I was tired and really didn't want to go out and play but I decided that would at least go out and groom Prince. So I went out. I gave Prince a really good brushing. I didn't halter him so first we played at Liberty. We did some sideways towards me, leading by the tail, and some really cool yo-yo's.

Prince is shedding like crazy so I think I ended up wearing at least half of his hair ;) But it was nice to be able to spend some time time just hanging out together. After a little while I decided to halter Prince and play around a little bit. I put my savvy string on the halter instead of the 12ft line so we played the whole time on a 6ft rope! It was really fun and challenging.

We trotted up the hill to the riding ring. Prince stuck with me perfectly the whole time. Then once we were up there we did some more Stick to me, walk, trot, and even canter! I was really proud of Prince because the whole time (including when we were cantering) he kept slack in the rope. So that is a huge improvement because just a couple weeks ago Prince had a hard time circling close to me at anything higher than a walk. So it was really nice! Prince stuck with me beautifully. After that we did some traveling circles at the trot. Prince broke gait a couple times but for the most part he trotted around really nicely. We even did some change of directions!

Then I wanted to play with our straddling the barrels. Prince got it on the first try. The end barrel moved a little bit but it was really slippery because the snow was melting. So feel really confident that I can check that off our self assessment now. I am the type of person that I have to know with out a doubt that we can do something before I can check it off. It was exciting to finally be checking something off the list. It has been a while!

I decided to blow Prince's mind and instead of letting him go up in the riding ring we went back down to the corral and I let him go there. Prince stayed with me for a while before leaving and then he came back to me again! It was neat. I gave him a really good scratch before I left. It was a really great play session. I am glad I went out... but then I am always glad that I go out... it is the going out that it the hardest part for me. But slowly but surely I am over coming that!

Until next time...

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment