Sunday, February 7, 2010

Prince: Maintaining gait on the circle, Figure eights, and Change of directions.

Yesterday (February 6 2010)  afternoon I went out and played with Prince. We had an interesting play time. Lots to think about that's for sure. On our way up the hill I decided to try something a little different. I asked Prince to follow me up the hill.... from 22ft away. It was funny to see the look on Prince's face. He did well though and kept the slack in the line while staying at the distance I wanted. Once we were up in the riding ring we played some Touch it at the end of the 22ft line. There were two barrels standing on end, I am not sure how far apart they were but  it was just enough for Prince to fit in between them. Prince did really well and went sideways right between them. Then looked at me and asked a question. It was so cute!

After that we started our circles. We started with some Transitions then after that we did maintaining gate at the canter. I didn't know this when we started but Prince canters easier to the right then to the left. If I had of known that it would have made this easier but oh well. I know now! We started going to the left. Prince kept breaking gait so I tried different things and after a while he cantered a full circle. So I brought him in and gave him a long rest. Then I sent him out to the right. Prince was able to canter a lot easier going to the right. I started walking around a little bit and Prince maintained the canter he cantered about 3 laps and only broke gait 2 times but picked the canter right back up again. So that was interesting.

We also played around with our Change of directions. Right now they are pretty much hit and miss. We had really nice change of directions earlier last year but something happened to them and they have never been the same since. After a while of playing around with them I decided to go right down to the walk and fix them there. So I asked Prince to walk. Our transitions are getting a lot better.... I mean they are amazing!! So at least we have those working for us ;) At the walk we were able to get our Change of directions working. Prince was really responsive and after a couple good change of directions at the walk I asked Prince to trot. He offered a nice slow trot which was perfect for practicing our Change of directions at the trot. This time they were much better! Prince responded to the pressure instead of just running right through it. After a couple nice change of directions at the trot I brought Prince in. He did really well!

After that we started Figure eights. Prince and I haven't done these in a while so they were interesting. After a couple Figure eights Prince started getting lighter and put more and more slack into the rope. It was interesting. After that we did some hindquarter and forequarter yields using the porcupine game. Prince did really well and actually put extra effort into doing it. So that was really nice! :)

Once we were finished playing we spend some undemanding time together for about 10 minutes. It was nice. So this play time gave me lots to think about... I will know how to improve for next time :)

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment