Friday, December 3, 2010

Ruffian: Leading by the chin and more.

November 29 2010

Ruffian and I had a really great session this afternoon. He actually came over to me when he saw me which was really amazing because Ruffian hasn't done that.... in well a long time. He used to always be the first one over to meet you but then when he was getting played with less and less he started to become more introverted and then that was when I started playing with him. It was really special!

I haltered him and then we just hung out in the corral while mom and I had a good conversation. While we were talking though I was watching Ruffian and it took him a long time to think and chew over just me haltering him. Once he did that though he really relaxed and we were able to play with leading by the chin. First though we had to do some friendly game around his chin because he was resisting that. I just persisted with it until he stopped moving his head around and trying to get away from my hand and then once he could except that then I started to ask for just one of two steps. Ruffian was really good and in the end we were able to walk around, turn, and stop and he was responding to the pressure appropriately.

Then we played with some more porcupine games such as hindquarter yields. I can't get over how light Ruffy had gotten! He pivoted a full circle, he was very light, and offered the speed!! It was incredible! We did that on both sides and then after he licked and chewed I let him go. We was a really good session for both of us and it was nice to be able to stay in the corral where the footing was a little better.

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment