Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Prince: Balancing Whoa and Go

December 21 2010

Mom and I went on another trail ride today but first we played in the corral and riding ring. After I saddled Prince we did some porcupine games, it was actually a pleasant temperature outside so it was a good time to do it because my fingers didn't freeze when I had to take my gloves off (I don't like doing any porcupine games with gloves on, I can't be as light as I need to be). Prince did extremely well and was very light. We did hindquarter, forequarter, back-up's, and such all with lightness, speed and distance! 
 
Prince and I then went up to the riding ring and we started with Touch it at the trot, where Prince had to trot to different things and touch it with either his nose, feet etc etc Prince did really well with that and it was a lot of fun. Next we did some circles and changes of directions a long with some transitions. 

Then we played with Figure eights again! This time Prince picked it up right from the start and he maintained gait the whole time. It was really nice!! Then we took a little break and I helped Mom with hers and Knightly's Figure eights. The last thing we did was I set up two barrels in the middle of the riding ring and asked Prince to jump them while coming towards me, then stop and back up to the barrels. I waited for Prince to ask a question (something that Mrs. Parelli talked about in the latest Savvy Club DVD) before I asked Prince to do it and it made a huge difference! Just that one small thing! It was definitely something I am going to play around with more. 

Before we headed out on the trail I bridled Prince. He took the bit really well and both time he accepted it very well. He is doing so well with it considering it is only his fifth time!!

Our trail ride was great. We rode up through town which was a first, normally we go out the back way or we walk the horses through town and then mount up. Prince did so well but wasn't 100% confident we carried on for a bit and then I decided to get off because even though we could have made it I wanted to do what was best for Prince's confidence. 

One of the main things both Mom and I played with was making sure the horses would stand still and not move forward until we gave them permission. Prince wanted to go but he was really good at standing still when I asked. Basically the whole way out we played with transitions and such, lots of backing up and all that. Prince was so light!! It was fun! 

Then we did some side passes from one side of the road to the other. Prince was incredible and we even took it up a notch and as soon as we got to the one side of the road I would switch and ask for a side pass the other way. Prince caught on really quickly and we did that for a good 100 feet or so. 

On the way back home since Prince had done so well in standing still when I asked and he was really connected we did lots of cantering!! I have never cantered so far so fast in my life but it was a complete thrill!!! It was a little cold considering we were cantering straight into the wind but both Prince and I had so much fun!! We had gotten quite a ways behind Mom and Knightly so we decided to catch up and it was light Prince picked switched gears and it was like we were flying!! Both of us just wanted to keep on going but I wanted to make sure Prince would still stop and wasn't disconnecting from me. He did fairly well. One time though we were cantering a lot and had to stop quickly because Mom and Knightly had come onto our path so I wasn't as focused on stopping as I was before but Prince still stopped pretty good. 

We rode through town going back home and Prince was doing well went and then a big propane truck came towards us. I saw it coming before it was really close so I got off and Prince and I just waited. Prince was worried but still stayed still. Once the truck stopped (the guy stopped right behind us) we walked forward so there was more room for Prince to move around if he needed too. Once we were a maybe 35ft from the truck the driver put his breaks on, which spooked Prince a little. Poor guy. 

The truck driver got out and came over and said that he didn't want to put his breaks on until we were far enough away. He said that he didn't want to spook the horses. That was really nice of him! We when walked the rest of the way home on foot and then hurried inside to get warm!! 

I was so proud of Prince and I think we both had a really fun time!! I might not get a chance to play with Prince until after Christmas so this was a great way to end for the week!!

Naturally,
~Keri

2 comments:

  1. Awesome that you had such a nice session with the figure 8's. You're doing a great job at changing strategies and picking the right ones for your horse.
    Very cool!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Petra! It is a 50/50 chance and this time I picked the right one :)

    Have a wonderful Christmas!
    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete