Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ruffian: Matching the energy

December 27 2010

Ruffian and I had a great playtime. To warm myself up we started with some stick to me where Ruffian had to keep the same distance and slack in the rope whether we were walking, trotting, backing up etc etc. At first Ruffian had a harder time stopping when I stopped, and not taking any steps forward. Then he got really good at stopping but then he wouldn't come forward as easily. So we played with that for a while then I decided to try doing something else, getting Ruffian responding to the pressure on the halter quicker and lighter.

We did a cool little pattern which was doing Falling Leaf one way and then backwards "S" going the other way and just keep switching from one to the other. It was a whole lot of fun. Ruffian cantered the Falling Leaf and trotted the Backwards "S". He was turning really, really quickly and putting a whole lot of effort into doing the pattern. After that we went back to the Stick to me and Ruffian was so light. We did walk/trot/halt/ and backup and Ruffian kept the same distance and the same amount of slack in the rope. It was great!

Up next was Figure eights! Ruffian really wanted to move and play, so the challenge for me was again to match his energy and go 4 ounces more, just enough that he would notice me and respond. If I did more he would get worried because it would be to much pressure. It was challenging but fun. Ruffian did really well I ended up doing the same pattern that I do with Prince which is trotting a circle and then changing direction around one barrel then going back on the circle again and then repeating the process then putting a complete Figure eight in there every once and I a while. Ruffian did very well and he stayed connected and calm the whole time. At the end we got a really nice Figure eight at the trot and Ruffian had rhythm, relaxation and connection! It was really great!!

We ended there because it was a great spot to end and Ruffian had done so well! So we just hung out for a bit and then I unhaltered him and then I played with Prince!!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment