Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ruffian: Gaining relaxation through transitions.

December 17 2010

This afternoon I brought Ruffian out onto the front yard to play. He has been wanting to come out for a long time and every time I bring another horse out he is always at the gate waiting for his turn. So I figured that it would be his turn and also change things up a bit for him.

We started with just exploring different paths, watching the boys sled and such. Then we did some circles. Ruffian wasn't at all relaxed so I decided to do transitions so help him relaxed some. We did simple trot-walk-trot transitions and that helped a lot. Ruffian relaxed and found the rhythm, relaxation and connection. Next we did some changes of directions and ended when Ruffian did a really nice, smooth change of direction.

Next we did some sideways up and down the front yard. Ruffian was so light! It was really nice! We went sideways at a phase 1 for about 30ft!!! Talk about lightness, speed and distance!!

Then we just hung out for a while relaxing and sleeping in the sun! Then we went back to the corral. But to get there I asked Ruffian to push the ball along the path and then push it out of the way so we could get by. He did that well and really got into it after a while!

He stayed with me even after I let him go so we hung out together for a bit and then I went inside to warm up a bit! It was a really good session because I learned that even when Ruffian was being playful, then would switch to being worried, it was so important that I stayed calm, cool and collected and was as light as possible but as firm as necessary. It made a big difference in the way Ruffian responded! This horses is teaching me so much!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment