Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Prince: Trail riding in the snow!

December 17 2010

Prince and I had a really interesting session about Figure eights! Who would have guessed? ;) Prince had a hard time maintaining gait around the left barrel and on the other one he would make the assumption that I wanted him to come around and go through so he wasn't listening to me. So I switched things up a bit and I would ask Prince to go around the one barrel and then circle once, go around the other barrel and then circle once. That was going well and Prince started listening more and more and also got really interested and started asking questions.
He still would break gait around the one barrel so we kept on the same pattern as above expect every time he went around the barrel I would ask him to go into the canter. He caught on to that quickly and things were going smoothly. So I brought him in for a rest. He was pretty sweaty after all that running. I sent him back out and the first Figure eight we did was exactly what I was looking for, Prince maintained gait, waited until I asked for him to come around the barrel instead of assuming that was what I wanted and he maintained gait around the left barrel.

After when I was thinking about it I realised that Prince wasn't shaping around that barrel like he does around the right hand barrel. Which makes total sense because circling to the left is his harder side and also getting left leads is harder. So it comes as no surprise. My plan for next day is to focus on him shaping his body around that one barrel and I think that will help him maintain gait easier.

Then Mom and I went for a trail ride! We didn't go far as it was getting pretty cold and I had to go to work but we had fun. We stayed on our property the whole time but went down to the turn around and rode there. Prince and I did some cantering and it was so much fun! Prince cantered really, really fast one time and it was incredible! All I had to do to stop him was relax and I didn't have to touch my reins at all!!

I had my CB (Cradle Bridle) on but I wasn't using it, I had my reins attached to my halter. Prince had resistance to putting it on so I just waited until he got curious about it and he started sniffing it and checking it out then he actually took the bit all by himself!! I guided it in but it was Prince who wanted it. I let him have it in his mouth for a while and then I took it out. We did this three times and each time Prince took the bit. It is progress!! It will still take some time but I am not going to use it while I am riding until Prince willing accepts it with out any resistance.

On our way home we had to walk across snow that was on top of ice that had water under it. So Prince was sinking really deep. He was such a trooper though and even though he didn't like it he walked straight though it for me. He was great!!

I can hardly wait until we can go out again. I love riding in the snow even though one has to be careful about ice. It is still so much fun though!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment