Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Review: The new Parelli 22ft line, with the handle.

I thought that I would just type a quick post about some of my thoughts about the new 22ft line that the Parelli's released with a handle on the end. Now before we start, just so that there is no confusion, here is a picture of what it looks like:


I have heard a lot of people complaining about it and many different reasons why they don't think it will be any good and how it could be dangerous, etc etc. From what I gathered these people do not have this particular rope and so are just making assumptions.

Principle #2 is "Don't make or teach assumptions". So I was prepared to give it my best shot and see how it worked. After all, if Mr. Parelli thinks it is a good idea and will be useful, I am not about to say that I don't like it until I have given it a fair trial.

The only concern I had about it going into the session, knowing how in our riding ring everything that can get caught on something will get caught, I wasn't sure if it would be a touch annoying if it kept getting caught on rocks and such. However that was not a problem because it really isn't big enough to get caught on anything, unless that particular thing is really small. I did not find that it was in the way or annoying when I was doing something at a closer range. So that wasn't an issue.

On Monday I set out to give it a try. I started playing with Ruffian and right from the start I could see that when we were doing some patterns I wasn't giving Ruffian the full length and when I did give him more I was able to see how we needed to improve!

With Twosox I really got to test out the handle part and I have to say, I really liked it! We were doing circles and he was at the end of the rope, while keeping slack in it though, and I was able to stand totally in neutral and just pass the loop/handle around very easily. With the other style of rope I found it harder to do this. Not saying that it couldn't be done but this was quite a bit easier because I didn't have to really grip it. Also when Twosox started pulling and leaning on the rope a little bit it was much easier to hold on until he released. I felt like it set me up for success because I didn't have to grip the rope and hang on really tight if Twosox started pulling.

Also when I asked for a change of direction I challenged myself to keep my hand at the end of the rope, hanging on to the handle. Twosox took a long time before he would change direction because he wasn't listening to my body, he was relying on the rope. So we were able to play with it and get it to where I could stay at the end of the 22ft line and get the change of direction with the belly of the rope on the ground. So I was able to see where I need to improve.

I played with all three of my horses using this rope and I found the handle really helpful. Now I am not saying that any of the points I made above about its good features couldn't be done with the older rope style rope but I was able to learn a whole lot in one afternoon, things that I didn't even know I was doing, or not doing, all because there was a little handle on the end.

One thing that some people have against this new style is that they said you could get a foot or hoof through the handle. I would just like to say that it would have to be a very small foot or hoof. My 6yr old little brother couldn't get his foot through it with a shoe or boot on even if he tried. It is small but not to small.

So I am very happy with it and I also like how they have the swivel snap on the other end. It is much safer and easier to put on and take off in freezing cold weather :) People may say what they will but for myself, I found it to be very useful. Plus it shall challenge me to get even better with managing my tools. I believe that it will be a very useful feature.

Naturally,
~Keri

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review, Keri. Glad you like it!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your most welcome!

    Naturally,
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, we can trust you to be positive and progressive!! You make no assumptions and you are honest to try for yourself. You believe in the wisdom of your elders, the Parelli's and trust that even if we don't understand, we know that THEY know and we believe their wisdom. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete