Sunday, September 5, 2010

Busy, busy, busy!

Written September 4 2010

Well... it has been a interesting week. I have learned a lot about myself and so much more! Here is kind of a overview of my week...

I am not a beginnings person. You never know what is going to happen, they are uncertain, different, and so much more! I like middles and ends though. One major realization this week was that I had was that I was pushing myself to get out with the horses as much as possible, and play with all of them a lot, because I was basically worried that I would loose my passion for horses (which is not something I can really see me loosing any time soon, even if I didn't play so much). I would feel really bad if I didn't get out and play also.

So for me to get out with the horses is the hardest part. Once I am out and have started playing though I am fine and love every minute of it. So getting myself out to play is one of the hardest parts of my horsemanship journey. I just figured that that was the reason that I didn't really feel like going out. But I took some time to think about it and talk to my Mom and Dad and while we were talking about it it struck me the real reason. So in not wanting to go to one extreme I went to the other end.

I see this pattern in so many other areas of my life as well, at work. I am nervous going to work but as soon as I am there and have started working I am fine. I like working in the dining room much better because there is a lot more consistency and it is a little less rushed. I know where to be, when to be and most of the time what to do when I get there. Yes I have to answer a lot of phones but that is okay. So beginnings are hard for me.

This week was super hot also (40 Celsius, 104 Fahrenheit). So I decided to take it easy on the horses this week. It was nice to have some time off but I am really ready to get back out. I just hope and pray that this feeling lasts :) I would absolutely love to feel motivated to get out each morning and play and ride. Maybe it will come with time :) This week has been busy, running around every where, I got my first pay check... which is going for a Ron Pyne lesson at the end of October, my birthday is coming up in about a week so I had to decided what I wanted (that was hard!!) and then today was day 1 of a 2 day Level 2/3 clinic with Fawn Anderson that was about an hour from here.

Most of the stuff Prince and I can do but there were a couple things that confirmed that I was heading in the right direction and some things that I hadn't thought of doing. So I am even more excited to get out on Monday!! God is good! He is providing the inspiration for me!!

One thing that Ms. Anderson talked about today was the power of having goals and plans. Something that I sort of have but they are not clear enough. So I shall be sitting down and figuring out exactly what my goals are... well I know what my goal is but I have to figure out the steps to get there, something I have been trying to figure out for a while now.

So all in all it has been a good week. I trimmed Prince on Thursday and I learned something else too! Not about trimming though, I tend to side more on the stick side. I think I am fairly centered but there are times it still comes through. Not is huge ways but just in little tiny ways. One is when I am trimming. I don't get direct line but something, especially when it is very hot it can be harder for me to be as light as possible but as firm as necessary. I don't have as much patience as I could. Before I was trimming Prince I decided that if he pulled his foot away I would either let it go or I would hang on until he stopped pulling then put it down, rub it and then pick it back up again and then continue on. So I did that and Prince was amazing! Yes there were times when he pulled him foot away and such but I would just rub it and pick it back up again. I didn't let Prince push my buttons. To make a long story short it was by far the best trim we have ever done.

How will that apply to the other areas of my horsemanship? Well it will still take a while to figure it all out but I think I need to learn that when things don't go quite right, it is okay. Reward the slightest try, start again and help the horse through it. Most of the like it is more likely that they just don't understand what I want. Help them figure it out and be willing to let it look a little messy at first. But at the same time don't release on a brace, be as light as possible but as firm as necessary, and all those other principles! :)

I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend and I shall, Lord willing, be posting quite a bit this week about our play times. Also stay tuned for a post about my goals and how I plan to get there!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment