Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prince: Another breakthrough!!

Sept 27 2010

Prince and I had a really good play session and ride today. We had a lot breakthroughs too!! We started with some Liberty with mom and Knightly. Knightly wanted to run and play so we sent the horses out around the riding ring. The goal was 1-2 laps around the riding at the canter with out breaking gait or changing direction. They both did well. After that we backed the horses between some barrels while we each stood in a tire then after a little rest we brought them back in to us. Prince did really well and didn't leave. He wasn't sure what I wanted when I asked him to come to me because normally I back up a step or two and he will come so that is something we shall have to play with!!

Then I had to figure out a new shimming pattern for my saddle. So we did that next. My mom was able to help with that also and we figured something out that I think might just work! Prince seems to like it so that is the most important thing. I might need to change of the shims around a little but that is about it I think.

Then we went Online and did Stick to me at w/t/c, Prince picked up the correct leads EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! I was amazed! Even to the left he picked it up no problem! Another thing I noticed was that Prince's canter was slower and more relaxed!! Then we did circles at the canter again Prince picked up the correct leads each time but our connection wasn't so great. So we had to play with that. But Prince found it pretty quickly. I was just really happy that Prince picked up the correct leads! It was really amazing. He looked so comfortable! We played around a bit with jumping some single barrels. Prince even offered to jump on with me in zone 5!! He has never done that before so it was really cool!

While we were riding we mostly did Follow the rail and transitions. We started with getting Prince more relaxed at the trot. He found a nice slow trot which was really nice so then when I asked for the canter Prince was relaxed and went nicely into the canter. It was only for about two posts so that would be about 16ft but I rewarded that because he went into it nicely, came out of it calm and relaxed and picked up the correct lead. We did a couple more of those and each time Prince would pick up the canter at a lighter phase, canter for longer and was still relaxed going in and coming out of the canter. Each time, no matter how far he cantered I would reward it then we would start again.

After the third time or so though Prince started assuming that I wanted the canter at that particular spot so I had to switch it up a bit. I started asking him to canter at a couple different spots and Prince did really, really well. I was so happy! The new shimming pattern really seems to be making a difference!! Prince didn't miss any of the leads! That was going to the right so I was interested to see how going to the left would go.

At first Prince would pick up the canter but for only a short distance. But I was happy with it and rewarded it because he was cantering on the correct lead. Then on the third of fourth time I asked for the canter a little early, we have a tree that is hanging over part of the fence and normally I don't ask for the canter until after we are past that but this time I was a bit early and something on my saddle hit on the tree. Nothing got caught but Prince broke gait for a stride or so but then picked it back up again and gave me the most beautiful canter to the left, on the left lead and we cantered from the tree which is about the half way point in the riding ring on the long side of the fence and we cantered all the way a long the fence to the small gate so not quite half of the riding ring but almost. What was really cool too was that Prince stayed a long the rail and before he had a really hard time doing that, he would cut it off and come off the rail. So it was really amazing. Prince was nice and relaxed when I asked him to stop and I got off right after that. That was huge for us!!

After that we spent some undemanding time. Prince didn't want to leave so I scratched him and he still didn't want to leave so we just hung out for a bit before I went and haltered Twosox.

I was so proud of Prince! I still can't believe how well it went. I think the thing that made the major difference is that I rewarded the slightest try, whether it was Prince going into the canter at a light phase, or Prince just cantered a couple strides. I rewarded it and Prince started relaxing and putting a lot more effort into cantering. It was really amazing!!

Naturally,
~Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment